Location of New Street, Park in Sheffield

I think that New Street Lane must be the same as New Street, Park as there doesn't seem to be a record of any other New Street in Sheffield apart from the one off West Bar. There are some photos of New Street Lane on the picturesheffield site - here is a link. The full length of New Street Lane is shown on this 1963 map.

Edited by hillsbro

I think that New Street Lane must be the same as New Street, Park as there doesn't seem to be a record of any other New Street in Sheffield apart from the one off West Bar. There are some photos of New Street Lane on the picturesheffield site - here is a link. The full length of New Street Lane is shown on this 1963 map.

I think part of New Street Lane (off Broad Street) is still there.

I think part of New Street Lane (off Broad Street) is still there.
Yes, looking at a Google "street level" view you can just see the end of the narrow street.

To judge from old maps it seems that New Street was renamed New Street Lane towards the end of the 19th century. An 1881 directory lists it as New Street - see here - and it is shown thus on maps, but the 1901 directory shows it as New Street Lane. It was perhaps renamed New Street Lane to avoid confusion with the other New Street.

Yes, looking at a Google "street level" view you can just see the end of the narrow street.

To judge from old maps it seems that New Street was renamed New Street Lane towards the end of the 19th century. An 1881 directory lists it as New Street - see here - and it is shown thus on maps, but the 1901 directory shows it as New Street Lane. It was perhaps renamed New Street Lane to avoid confusion with the other New Street.

I saw on another SF old map, just above New Street was Old Street! Perhaps they were struggling for innovative street names back then.

Thanks Hillsbro & St Petre !![/quote From looking at Hillsbo's replies and the maps etc, that New Street (Lane) wasn't swallowed up or demolished by the building of the new developments as Park Hill is to the west of that area (Duke Street etc) and Hyde Park to the East of Bernard Street so the New Street area was in the middle. The smaller housing projects that were also in the 'middle': Embassy Court, Bard Street and Crown buildings (were they there then ?) remained intact at the time.