Gym owner willing to give thief a 2nd chance

Janus

Either way the gym owner is entitled to not press charges if a settlement is reached privately. People have that choice over a large majority of crime.

(Technically I'm not sure we DO actually have this as a right, but the victim being the primary witness if they refuse to testify then it amounts to the same thing in many cases).

Once this lad gets a criminal record then people with a similar attitude to yourself will hold it against him and his job prospects will be greatly diminished. This may lead the lad to end up being forced down the path of criminality due to the record affecting his career options...

Not at all. I look at ability to do the job. I believe you can learn a trade or do further education if incarcerated, and get help for addictions, this would greatly improve his job prospects and could perhaps turn his life around. Perhaps a talk with the cops will scare him into changing if he hasn't been in trouble with them before.

There's a lot of baseless assumptions being made that the gym owner can do a better job turning this persons life around than the professionals. He's not qualified as far as I see, if he finds himself with a new employee that has a bad attitude and addictions will he stick it out or move him on?

The whole ideal is flawed and if we replaced our justice system with this 'restorative justice' ideal we would be worse off. It would be every person for themselves, the thief would only ever be accountable to the victim (if caught) and would have infinity chances.

Guest busdriver1

Where I worked a while ago, a guy came along for a job in a customer facing role. He had a conviction for ABH and was repentant. He explained the circumstances surrounding the conviction that offered some mitigation. There was no way he could be taken on in that role, but, the training he had received "inside" coupled with his very positive attitude meant that he was offered a position in a non customer facing role. He is still there and doing great.

This proves that second chances are possible avenues for genuine people to turn their lives around. It may not work for all I am sure but the offer made is a great gesture and should not be decried as it gives a lad a chance to turn his life around and hopefully could result in a similar outcome.

Good on the guy for the offer, lets hope it works.