Tipping Taxi Drivers?

You are correct but America always likes to be portrayed as a proud nation and to doff caps and crawl for tips seems a funny way to conduct things over there. I am aware of how it works and that is why I always tip and I don't object to it at all but they should adopt a better system. In many parts of Australia it is regarded as an insult because it is like saying you consider me as inferior to you.

---------- Post added 27-10-2018 at 11:27 ----------

For a time I drove buses. I never expected or received a tip. In that time I was assulted during which a £200 pair of spectacles were broken. I was blinded twice by lasers, a very worrying time. I had a cigarette stubbed out on the back of my hand. Windows put through with bricks and once a javelin stolen from a local school was put through the windscreen,plus numerous threats even though I was always polite to people .

I agree with your dislike of the tipping system in North America, I have never liked it. The powers that be allow bars and restaurants to charge whatever they like but only have to pay their staff a pittance leaving Joe Public to pick up the balance. Saying that, in Canada, I know some bartenders who make a good living at it, it all depends on how busy their place of work is.

Because you can get good service in lots of other places where you wouldn't dream of tipping...

This. I get good service in shops too, but wouldn't dream of tipping in Tesco, so why in a restaurant. Besides, lots of restaurants add a service charge anyway.

As for taxis, just use Uber. The issue never comes up.