Name the historical fallacy?

If that "more capable" person had existed then they would have assumed power anyway wouldn't they?

Who knows? Opportunity may not have arrived...

This alternative Hitler may not have existed, because the young Hitler did not go in to the sweet shop, spill sweets everywhere and so trigger the event that caused alternative Hitler's would-be mom and dad (shop owner and customer) to meet.

Who knows? Opportunity may not have arrived...

This alternative Hitler may not have existed, because the young Hitler did not go in to the sweet shop, spill sweets everywhere and so trigger the event that caused alternative Hitler's would-be mom and dad (shop owner and customer) to meet.

So now you're saying what if 2 people hadn't existed..?

So now you're saying what if 2 people hadn't existed..?

Oh, you're right, my example isn't a great one! Scrap that!

I meant to say, if Hitler had done something, that caused alternative Hitler's would-be mom and dad, NOT to have met.

The issue is, I assume, that literally every little changed action could make a difference in a way that we cannot predict, theoretically at least.

If Mrs Parks had been on a different bus, with a driver who didn't challenge her at that time, or who didn't call the police but merely ejected her from the bus, what difference would that have made? Would other people have been sufficiently outraged to have protested by stopping using the bus entirely? I don't know, but then neither does anybody else.

its called the butterfly effect

Thanks for helpfully discussing this everyone. I’m thinking it must be the Fallacy of the Single Cause or Key Agent, or possibly The Heroic Figure.

Clearly the Beatles/Jazz fallacy is wrong on many levels, I cite it only as a similar fallacy to that of a historical Key Agent.

It may be that Evil Dictators are unique individuals, but who’s to say that several of their inner circle or thousands of their countrymen couldn’t have become intoxicated by power and ridden the wave to a similar conclusion. There’s many a psychotic gob****e.

It’s the “We must give everything a name instead of just accepting that stuff evolves” fallacy.

It reminds me of interviewers who insist asking “If there’s one thing...” when there’s invariably a whole range. We seem to have a need to simplify and reduce everything to a single headline.

I also notice how often they use the phrase," So and so happened after", whatever, rather than , because of. Its a none statement.

its called the butterfly effect

That's not a description for the fallacy that we could make simple changes to history in order to massively alter the flow of events.

It's sort of the opposite, the fact that we can't predict the large impacts of small changes sometimes.