Don`t feed bread to ducks - RSCB.

While out cycling incorporating the Rotherham to Sheffield canal, it’s a pleasant interval to feed the ducks.

There is quite a gathering of Mallards at Ball Bridge-Neepsend area. I heard a while back that bread is a bad thing to be feeding to wild ducks. Apparently peas, oats, grains and lettuce for example are good alternative foods for them.

“We feed six million loaves of bread a year to ducks in England and Wales causing damage to birds’ health and polluting waterways. Oats, corn and peas are safer for the birds say the RSPB.

The seemingly innocent act of feeding ducks with bread is harming waterfowl and polluting waterways.

Apart from affecting water quality, the canal and river trust said the duck feeders may be unwittingly damaging the health of the birds”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/16/dont-feed-the-ducks-bread-say-conservationists

Edited by Janus

There is quite a gathering of Mallards at Ball Bridge-Neepsend area. I heard a while back that bread is a bad thing to be feeding to wild ducks. Apparently peas, oats, grains and lettuce for example are good alternative foods for them.

When I was a kid many people used to throw bread for the birds, I guess it killed them off, because there are very few these days!

I saw a jobs worth telling of a young mom and her kids for feeding the ducks at Creswell crags. the kids started roorin ,I asked him who these experts are who have decided that a a tradition that has passed down through generations is now crap. His reply was , Its from head office.

Hardly a jobsworth if he has the well-being of the wildlife to consider.

Do you subscribe to Gove's dictum that "Britain has had enough of experts"?

Hardly a jobsworth if he has the well-being of the wildlife to consider.

Do you subscribe to Gove's dictum that "Britain has had enough of experts"?

Bang on kid, the experts that told us to buy a diesel car is a good one to start with ,then we could try the guys that made an atomic bomb so as to kill millions in one go ,thousands of experts about in fact at one time the they even said that smoking cigs was good for you.

Bang on kid, the experts that told us to buy a diesel car is a good one to start with ,then we could try the guys that made an atomic bomb so as to kill millions in one go ,thousands of experts about in fact at one time the they even said that smoking cigs was good for you.

Don't know about ducks and bread.

But no-one can argue with this post, surely