Losing half your state pension not far away.

The general public will not be happy if pensions are taken away from many.

Spend all your life paying into the system, only to be told that you're not allowed a state pension because you worked too hard.

Meanwhile the lazy and feckless continue to get a free ride??

/QUOTE]

So if the options are lazy, feckless or prudent. Why not remove the state pension for everyone and then you can save for your own retirement.

The lazy will contiue to get state aid and the feckless will get the equivalent of unemployment.

Whereas at the minute we have lazy,feckless,prudent and old. With the old getting as much if not more than the lazy and feckless just for being alive.

I take it you'll not be claiming your state pension then?

Edited by truman

Every single new pensioner gets a reduced state pension.

Women in there 50s will lose tens of thousands.

Men a few thousand.

All new pensioners will have a further already reduction if they worked at anytime for the Government or the Council.

That is a reduction for:

hospital workers

civil servants

council workers

police, fire and ambulance

etc.

I had not heard of that Annie. Apart from austerity and people living longer, is there some other reason for these changes? All happening irrespective of the grey vote etc.

Edited by Janus

So if the options are lazy, feckless or prudent. Why not remove the state pension for everyone and then you can save for your own retirement.

The lazy will contiue to get state aid and the feckless will get the equivalent of unemployment.

Why should the lazy get state aid?

I had not heard of that Annie. Apart from austerity and people living longer, is there some other reason for these changes? All happening irrespective of the grey vote etc.

You've not heard of it, because it's a figment of Annie's imagination.

You've not heard of it, because it's a figment of Annie's imagination.

Of course you are right and it was all a dream. I didn't really check up on my State Pension age, or my NI contributions history or whether I was paying into a contracted in/out schemes.

I left it to others and they tell me that my doubts about my State Pension are figment of my imagination.

Or did I?

Lets start with the raising of pension age.

Originally Pension age was 60 for women and 65 for men.

An application for equality by a man triggered a review that planned 65 for both with a gradual rise in pensionable age for women.

This gradual rise was accelerated in 2008 and increased upward to 66+.

Loss of 6 years pension is a cut of £30000 in cash for women and about £7500 for men.

OK?

Then there is the difference between the new "contracted in" and "contracted out" State Pension.

(New rules applicable if you reach State Pension age after 7th April 2016.)

"You’re more likely to have been contracted out if you’ve worked in the public sector, for example:

•the NHS

•local councils

•fire services

•the civil service

•teaching

•police forces

•the armed forces" (source:Contracted out of the State Pension)

Despite having no choice and paid NI contributions all their lives. Calculating your pension reduction is complicated by your NI contributions to various schemes. Get a history of NI contributions now to check.

Of course you are right and it was all a dream. I didn't really check up on my State Pension age, or my NI contributions history or whether I was paying into a contracted in/out schemes.

I left it to others and they tell me that my doubts about my State Pension are figment of my imagination.

Or did I?

An application for equality by a man triggered a review that planned 65 for both with a gradual rise in pensionable age for women.

Loss of 6 years pension is a cut of £30000 in cash for women and about £7500 for men.

OK?

Then there is the difference between the new "contracted in" and "contracted out" State Pension.

"You’re more likely to have been contracted out if you’ve worked in the public sector, for example:

•the NHS

•local councils

•fire services

•the civil service

•teaching

•police forces

Despite having no choice and paid NI contributions all their lives. Calculating your pension reduction is complicated by your NI contributions to various schemes. Get a history of NI contributions now to check.

Not specifically a public service only issue though which is how your original post appeared to come across..lots of other people will have contracted out as well...

Or did I?

OK?

•the NHS

•local councils

•fire services

•the civil service

•teaching

•police forces

Your argument that the raising of the pension for women as an example of losing out will attract absolutely no sympathy from me. Why should women have a significantly lower pensionable age to men? As for the overall increase in pensionable age is a natural thing to do when life expectancy is increasing.

Also, your entire post seems to me that you were negligent in having a full understanding of your pensions situation. So fundamentally whose fault is that?

Edited by ez8004

It is happening - if you have ever had an employer that "contracted you out" of part of the state pension (I think this is called something like "second pension") then you get a reduced state pension under the current scheme that has just been introduced. You could only contract out I believe if you were paying equivalent money into a private pension instead.