200 UK shopping centres 'in crisis'

Until they scrap car parking charges and put bobbies on the beat, I've no intention of ever setting foot in the town centre ever again.

Nothing else to add, took another delivery today off amazon, which I ordered yesterday, the item in question was 25% cheaper than local shops.

Car parking charges are a bit of a red herring. I've no objection to paying a few quid but it's the faff of getting into town, then parking (cue the "I can always park easily when I go into town" crowd) or I can order it from the comfort of my settee. Shopping in centres is a pain and I don't like doing it.

Because the council is not doing it to make a profit. I have no expertise in this, but councils run school buses and they don't make a profit, so they don't pay road tax, whereas private buses and taxis do.

what makes you think they don't pay road tax?

and not making a profit doesn't make you a charity

as far as i'm aware most school bus contracts are with private firms and they will be free to use the buses for other things outside of school hours

Hardly any shopping centres are council owned, and like previous post says the council is generally liable for business rates on property they occupy or own (unless tenanted- in which case tenant is liable)

Barnsley Council are currently building a £180m shopping/leisure centre in the town centre so if the will is there it can be done. But with so many cuts and other priorities it must be a difficult choice.

The first phase opened yesterday (market hall) and it looks terrific. Definitely the best market hall I’ve seen for a while. Hope the rest turns out as well.

what makes you think they don't pay road tax?

and not making a profit doesn't make you a charity

as far as i'm aware most school bus contracts are with private firms and they will be free to use the buses for other things outside of school hours

Sheffields fleet of buses and cars are supported by their own vehicle workshops were all our vehicles are regular serviced and have strict safety inspections to ensure vehicle reliability.

http://www.sheffielddirectory.org.uk/kb5/sheffield/directory/service.page?id=beSAebo1zcw

Barnsley Council are currently building a £180m shopping/leisure centre in the town centre so if the will is there it can be done. But with so many cuts and other priorities it must be a difficult choice.

The first phase opened yesterday (market hall) and it looks terrific. Definitely the best market hall I’ve seen for a while. Hope the rest turns out as well.

If Barnsley has a high street(s) then it could go the way of the towns of Thanet when Westwood Cross shopping centre opened.

All the big stores closed their town centre shops and and moved to the Cross where the parking is free.

At the same time the Council increased town centre parking charges and so discouraged shoppers from visiting.

The high streets died.