Searching for Mavis Ward

I know this is really a long shot i'm just having one last shot for my Grandad in finding his sister. This will probably mean peoples Grans if anyone actually knows. Heres the story, my grandad passed away in February this year and i know it always bothered him that he'd never made contact with his sister. To my dads knowledge she just seemed to vanish out of their lives in the 1960's. Her maiden name is Mavis Ward we have no idea if she married or not. She is one of 4 children, the eldest being my grandad John Victor Ward (born 1917), her brother Albert Ward and finally her sister Mary Ward (born 1928 She is the daugter of also John Victor Ward born 1891 and Mary Ward (nee Savage) born 1898 (their graves being in the city road cemetry). She will have been born in the Fitzalan Tavern - Pittsmoor and spent most of her childhood also in Pittsmoor, i believe she was born sometime in the 1920's - early 1930's. Thats really all we know, we have no idea if shes still alive or even if she lives in Sheffield. If any of this rings any bells with anyone it would make my dad and his family really happy to trace her. I know this is a long shot as were talking of a lady in her 80's now but i thought i'd give it a try. :help:

• 5 years later...
I know this is really a long shot i'm just having one last shot for my Grandad in finding his sister. This will probably mean peoples Grans if anyone actually knows. Heres the story, my grandad passed away in February this year and i know it always bothered him that he'd never made contact with his sister. To my dads knowledge she just seemed to vanish out of their lives in the 1960's. Her maiden name is Mavis Ward we have no idea if she married or not. She is one of 4 children, the eldest being my grandad John Victor Ward (born 1917), her brother Albert Ward and finally her sister Mary Ward (born 1928 She is the daugter of also John Victor Ward born 1891 and Mary Ward (nee Savage) born 1898 (their graves being in the city road cemetry). She will have been born in the Fitzalan Tavern - Pittsmoor and spent most of her childhood also in Pittsmoor, i believe she was born sometime in the 1920's - early 1930's. Thats really all we know, we have no idea if shes still alive or even if she lives in Sheffield. If any of this rings any bells with anyone it would make my dad and his family really happy to trace her. I know this is a long shot as were talking of a lady in her 80's now but i thought i'd give it a try. :help:

I dont know if this will help,I lived on Fitzalan St and the Fitzalan Tavern was more or less across the street,I remember Mavis ward who was older than me,she had a youger sister as well but I cant rememer her name and I am sure her Dad was called Albert,who ran the pub,I remember him he was just about the only person on the street who owed a car,I also remember his father was in Middlewood hospital,He was the talk of the street,on several occations,he walked out of the Hospital and found his way back to the Pub,HE was supposed to be not all there,if you dont mind me putting it like that of course when the abulance came to pick him up word got round very quick,I would not mind betting he had a pint before his son called the hospital to say he was there,I should imagine Mavis will be 80 or more I am 75 next myself,hope it helps in some small way

Looking at entries in the births index for Ward children born in Sheffield with the mother's maiden name given in the index as Savage, the most likely one seems to be a Mavis Ward who was born in Sheffield in Oct-Dec 1936. With the same mother's maiden name the index also shows John V. Ward born 1917 as the OP mentioned, and a Mary Ward born Jan-Mar 1929. There doesn't seem to be an Albert.

Looking at Sheffield marriages, a Mavis Ward married a Harvey Sampson in 1954, and a Mavis Ward married a Terence Davies in 1968. I think that the Mavis F. Ward who married in 1959 can be discounted as this was most likely the Mavis F. Ward who was born in Sheffield in 1937.

Looking on the 2004 electoral roll for a Mavis and Harvey Sampson sharing an address, I didn't find two such people in Sheffield (the only couple in the UK with these names that the search revealed live in Coventry). Davis being a commoner surname I only looked locally; there is a Mavis and Terence Davies at an address in Brinsworth.

Anyone is welcome to PM me for the addresses.

If the Mavis Ward that Hillsbro identified is right then the marriage I gave was wrong. Here are Ward/savage children born in Sheffield around that period.

Name: John V Ward

Mother: Savage

Birth: Sep 1917 - Sheffield, Yorkshire

Name: Joan Ward

Birth: Sep 1920 - Sheffield, Yorkshire

Name: Mary Ward

Birth: Mar 1929 - Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding

Name: Mavis Ward

Birth: Dec 1936 - Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding

Name: Louie Ward

Birth: Jun 1916 - Sheffield, Yorkshire

Name: Albert V Ward

Birth: Jul 1913 - Sheffield, South Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding

Hi Rivelin6 - I had found the same Ward children but had discounted Louie and Albert as the OP wrote that John Victor of 1917 was the oldest. In any event, unless John Victor Snr. and Mary had more children than the OP mentions, there was evidently another Ward-Savage couple in Sheffield whose children were born around this time.

Mary Savage was evidently born in 1896 rather than 1898, and she married John Victor Ward in Jan-Mar 1913, so in theory Albert could have been their first child.

Hi Rivelin6 - I had found the same Ward children but had discounted Louie and Albert as the OP wrote that John Victor of 1917 was the oldest. In any event, unless John Victor Snr. and Mary had more children than the OP mentions, there was evidently another Ward-Savage couple in Sheffield whose children were born around this time.

Mary Savage was evidently born in 1896 rather than 1898, and she married John Victor Ward in Jan-Mar 1913, so in theory Albert could have been their first child.

Hi hillsbro, could some of them died? Yes the Albert one confused me too as the OP mentioned an Albert and the V could be for Victor????????

Archived