No Armistice display in Sheffield again?

A show of respect should suffice, I hope the Mayor does come dressed appropriately, and not in his back to front hat.

Angel1.

He shows respect by campaigning for state support for veterans rather than allowing them to have to rely on charity.

That's a damn sight more useful than wearing a suit and tie.

Would you prefer he wore one like this: Lord Mayor's hat

No, just to come dressed appropriately for the solemnity of the occasion.

" When you go home tell them of us and say: for your tomorrow we gave our today. "

or,

"Went the day well?

We died and never knew.

But, well or ill,

Freedom, we died for you."

Only the dead have seen the end of wars.

Angel1.

No, just to come dressed appropriately for the solemnity of the occasion.

" When you go home tell them of us and say: for your tomorrow we gave our today. "

or,

"Went the day well?

We died and never knew.

But, well or ill,

Freedom, we died for you."

Only the dead have seen the end of wars.

Angel1.

didnt they die so he...and the rest of us could have the freedom to wear whatever we like?

didnt they die so he...and the rest of us could have the freedom to wear whatever we like?

In the round, yes they did. But out of respect of the day, maybe appropriate garb should be worn.

I can only imagine the furore if the Mayor turned out in his usual laid back attire.

Angel1.

It’s a few years since I’ve been to the Remembrance Day Service at the Cenotaph at Barkers Pool. The last one I went to there was a very good turn out and it was well organised by the council, but at the time bodies of our brave soldiers were being returned home from Afghanistan and conveyed through the town of Wootton Bassett on a regular basis. So I suspect that was why the service and military presence was bigger than I remembered when I use to go occasionally with my late father.

Sheffield Council will do a good job with the service on Remembrance Sunday. I will be going to the one in Newcastle were I live. The Cenotaph in Sheffield is better than the one in Newcastle

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.”

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 20:11 ----------

Stannington Village has beautiful giant poppies on its lamp posts.

They have got giant poppies in most of the small villages In Northumberland they do look nice.

Edited by hauxwell

A show of respect should suffice, I hope the Mayor does come dressed appropriately, and not in his back to front hat.

Angel1.

well he refused to buy the first poppy that was done by the deputy lord mayor this year as Majid doesnt approve/agree of wearing of the poppy we shalll see if he attends on sunday my guess is he wont attend.

well he refused to buy the first poppy that was done by the deputy lord mayor this year as Majid doesnt approve/agree of wearing of the poppy we shalll see if he attends on sunday my guess is he wont attend.

Shall we have a small wager on that? Tenner says he does attend.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/armistice-100-these-are-the-remembrance-day-services-taking-place-in-sheffield-1-9432131

Having recently moved to Chesterfield it makes a refreshing change to see all the displays of remembrance all over the area.

From a beautiful poppy display at the town hall steps to lamposts adorned with red poppies, union jacks and lest we forget flags all over the area including Dronfield and the peak district.

its a pity Sheffield council couldn't for once respect and remember the dead for once.

https://www.chesterfield.co.uk/events/chesterfield-town-hall-poppy-cascade

Why don't you offer up your services on a voluntary basis to arrange and coordinate next years display in Sheffield?