Is free speech a thing of the past in England.

19 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

People are no longer allowed to make up their own minds anymore. I hear language which i find abhorrent, but a person has the right to say something and we have the right to challenge them. Simply shutting down free speech won't change someone's mind; it will most probably reinforce their view!

We should have free speech, but i fear the walls are closing in and we can already see that our words are being policed.

If there’s something you are frightened of saying, PM me in strictest confidence and I’ll say it for you. 

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

If there’s something you are frightened of saying, PM me in strictest confidence and I’ll say it for you. 

I can't even voice my observations about Sheffield without them been removed. But you're missing the whole point, In a so called free-society' Nobody should be frightened of expressing any opinion.

6 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

People are no longer allowed to make up their own minds anymore. I hear language which i find abhorrent, but a person has the right to say something and we have the right to challenge them. Simply shutting down free speech won't change someone's mind; it will most probably reinforce their view!

We should have free speech, but i fear the walls are closing in and we can already see that our words are being policed.

Exactly! The second you limit free speech is the exact same second you lose your own.

1 hour ago, 26b-6 said:

I can't even voice my observations about Sheffield without them been removed. But you're missing the whole point, In a so called free-society' Nobody should be frightened of expressing any opinion.

Exactly! The second you limit free speech is the exact same second you lose your own.

Removed?

You speak words and someone plucks them out of the ether and they're gone.

Fear of expressing an opinion though, that's not a problem with free speech, that's a problem that your fearing the reaction to what you say because you know that it's likely to cause one.  Perhaps then you should consider whether there is a problem with what you want to say, rather than a problem with all the people that react to it...

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Removed?

You speak words and someone plucks them out of the ether and they're gone.

Fear of expressing an opinion though, that's not a problem with free speech, that's a problem that your fearing the reaction to what you say because you know that it's likely to cause one.  Perhaps then you should consider whether there is a problem with what you want to say, rather than a problem with all the people that react to it...

Nothing wrong with positive reaction but some people can over-react. In a small way I have seen many accused of trolling simply because the accuser holds a different opinion.

5 hours ago, spilldig said:

Nothing wrong with positive reaction but some people can over-react. In a small way I have seen many accused of trolling simply because the accuser holds a different opinion.

So you think that you should have freedom of speech, but you wish to constraint the reaction of others to what you say?

On 28 November 2018 at 10:49 PM, leviathan13 said:

People are no longer allowed to make up their own minds anymore.

I've asked this before and not received an answer so there's probably no harm in asking again.

Who is actually stopping you making up your own mind?

I and everybody I know makes up their own mind so who is not allowing you to?