Is free speech a thing of the past in England.

The new crime of hate speech is an example of how our freedom of speech is being curtailed. On the surface, it appears to be a good thing but just how wide is its net? It seems to be a way of suppressing debate about immigration, multi-culturalism and the impact of Islam on western countries. I wonder when Sinead O'Connor will be hearing a knock on her door.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/06/they-are-disgusting-sinead-oconnor-never-wants-to-spend-time-with-white-people-again-8109826/

Does it?

How are you restricted from discussing any of those issues? If you can't talk about them without indulging in hate speech then you've got a very limited thought process.

My bold=

You do realise that the term “coloured people” is not socially acceptable?

Educate yourself old man= http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30999175/warning-why-using-the-term-coloured-is-offensive

My bold= I did not call them coloured people, I wrote "our coloured friends" which is a lot different to your reply.

Angel1.

Here you are, one for you to discuss. A blackboard apparently slights our coloured friends somehow, I have no idea why or how. It's summat you write on in school, period.

But here is the rub for sake of argument, the whiteboard is now the old blackboard. But hang on a minute, the term whiteboard offends me because I am white, why has the term whiteboard not been removed. That's just an illustration of how rediculous things have become.

Angel1.

You realise that none of this is true? Did you read it on the britain first website or something?

Whiteboards are white, blackboards are black, but not used very much anymore. You're perfectly free to talk about either though.

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 14:53 ----------

He never said anything about free speech.

:roll:

Well, apart from the title of the thread

Is free speech a thing of the past in England.

:huh:

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 14:54 ----------

Then why are they now called whiteboards and not blackboards.

Angel1.

They're physically white :huh::help:

You write on them with a coloured dry wipe pen, not chalk... Sheesh.

In most schools its because they're white these days - in fact the new new term is "interactive board"

From The Telegraph, " Labour has had a chequered history with blackboards, most notably in the 1980s when several hard-Left London councils banned the word in favour of "chalk boards" as part of a crackdown on "racist" terminology "

Err because most of them are whiteboards now? Some are even electronic.... I think chalk is a thing of the past...

From The Telegraph " Labour has had a chequered history with blackboards, most notably in the 1980s when several hard-Left London councils banned the word in favour of "chalk boards" as part of a crackdown on "racist" terminology "

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 15:05 ----------

Even 40 years ago Pink Floyd used the term 'coloured cousins', as a perjorative term in the lyrics to Waiting for the Worms.

And your point is -

Angel1.

From The Telegraph, " Labour has had a chequered history with blackboards, most notably in the 1980s when several hard-Left London councils banned the word in favour of "chalk boards" as part of a crackdown on "racist" terminology "

But we aren't in the 80's any more - but i was on the frontline when this was supposed to be happening and still i called it a blackboard.

Then why are they now called whiteboards and not blackboards.

Angel1.

'Cos they is white innit.

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 15:14 ----------

From The Telegraph " Labour has had a chequered history with blackboards, most notably in the 1980s when several hard-Left London councils banned the word in favour of "chalk boards" as part of a crackdown on "racist" terminology

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 15:05 ----------

Quite conceivably; there are nuthouses on both sides of the argument.

That still doesn't mean that anybody was actually offended by the term, though. As I said, stop buying into the nonsense.

Edited by Lockjaw