Is free speech a thing of the past in England.

makapaka's right - your post was daft.

Let's take this bit:

Going by that, an unmarried heterosexual man is gay.

It's had many meanings over the years. Here's the OED's definitions:

• Of persons, their attributes and actions: Full of or disposed to joy and mirth; manifesting or characterized by joyous mirth; light-hearted, exuberantly cheerful, sportive, merry.
  • Of a horse: Lively, prancing.
  • With implied sense of depreciation: Airy, off-hand.
  • In poetry: Applied to women, as a conventional epithet of praise.
  • the gay science: a rendering of gai saber, the Provençal name for the art of poetry.
  • Forward, impertinent, too free in conduct, over-familiar;
  • Of a dog’s tail: carried high or erect.
  • Addicted to social pleasures and dissipations. Often euphemistically: Of loose or immoral life. Esp. in gay dog, a man given to revelling or self-indulgence;
  • of a woman: Leading an immoral life, living by prostitution.
  • Of a person: homosexual. Of a place: frequented by homosexuals. slang.
  • Bright or lively-looking, esp. in colour; brilliant, showy.
  • Finely or showily dressed.
  • In immaterial sense: Brilliant, attractive, charming. Formerly also of reasonings, etc.: Specious, plausible.
  • Brilliantly good; excellent, fine.
  • ironically.
  • to have a gay mind: ‘to have a good mind’, to be very much inclined.
  • Of quantity or amount. Pretty good, ‘tolerable’, ‘middling’.
  • In good health; well, convalescent.
  • gay cat U.S. slang, a young or inexperienced tramp; a hobo who accepts occasional work;
  • gay deceiver,
    (a) a deceitful rake
    (b) slang = falsies
  • Brightly, showily = gaily
  • In a gay mood, joyously = gaily
  • Very. Also in weaker sense: Considerably, ‘pretty’. Frequent in dial. a gay few = a good few
  • A gay lady. Also, rarely of a man, a ‘gallant’.
  • 2. a. Anything that looks gay or showy; an ornament; esp. one that is used to amuse a child.
  • A ‘toy’, childish amusement.
  • A picture in a book. Now dial. (chiefly used by children).
  • A homosexual, esp. a male homosexual.

(My copy of the OED is quite old now - there are others as well.)

As you can see, it wasn't "always some one who was a bright and bubbly person ,who dressed flamboyantly and had no association what so ever with the Homosexual folk among us". Language evolves over time for a wide variety of reasons. This is just another example of it.

A gay chap in the fifty's was one who drove an M.G sports car while wearing yellow gloves and a cravat.

A gay chap in the fifty's was one who drove an M.G sports car while wearing yellow gloves and a cravat.

I remember singing along to Twisting The Night Away when I was younger, it has a totally different feel to it in today's world,:cool: Lol

I also remember a TV newsreader called Gay Byrne and a racehorse trainer called Gay Kindersley, both from the 60s / early 70s, I wonder how they felt when the word changed its meaning.:o

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 12:28 ----------

I could not stand the bloke .

Not a fan myself, I was just making an over the top kind of answer to your question in a sad attempt at humour, sorry if it offended you.

I remember singing along to Twisting The Night Away when I was younger, it has a totally different feel to it in today's world,:cool: Lol

I also remember a TV newsreader called Gay Byrne and a racehorse trainer called Gay Kindersley, both from the 60s / early 70s, I wonder how they felt when the word changed its meaning.:o

---------- Post added 09-11-2018 at 12:28 ----------

Not a fan myself, I was just making an over the top kind of answer to your question in a sad attempt at humour, sorry if it offended you.

Now't offends me any more pal.