Second referendum time? SF Poll

Message added by Vaati

As you can't seem to post like adults, this thread is now closed. You are not to post a new thread or derail any other thread on the subject.

Should we have a 2nd referendum now we know the deal?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a 2nd referendum now we know the deal?

• Yes
    • No
    • I wont be voting anyway Im sick of it all

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

Cyclone can answer for himself, but for what it's worth, no, the withdrawal agreement will not diminish the negative financial impacts warned about. It will just extend the timescale for their occurring, and so they will occur more gradually/less abruptly.

For the economical and geopolitical reasons already amply explained, and because the whole "what Brexit means" carry-on, and associated uncertainty, of the last 2 years will just continue during the transition period for the next 2 (or 4) years.

Well, that sounds good if you are predicting our current 10 year- high wage growth will continue for another 2-4 years. 😉

On 11/23/2018 at 3:29 PM, L00b said:

Cyclone can answer for himself, but for what it's worth, no, the withdrawal agreement will not diminish the negative financial impacts warned about. It will just extend the timescale for their occurring, and so they will occur more gradually/less abruptly. But they will occur, as surely as because they've already started.

For the economical and geopolitical reasons already amply explained, and because the whole "what Brexit means" carry-on, and associated uncertainty, of the last 2 years will just continue during the transition period for the next 2 (or 4) years.

Indeed, it's looking more and more like a managed decline.

28 minutes ago, Magilla said:

We've been in decline for a long time, and will continue down that path regardless of Brexit. However whether we stay in or come out, Bexit will be blamed for everything by Politicians.

It never occurs to them that if they'd done their jobs better, we might never have wanted a referendum. They have sleepwalked into this situation by never listening to the people and being completely out of touch with the zeitgeist. 

13 hours ago, Anna B said:

We've been in decline for a long time, and will continue down that path regardless of Brexit. However whether we stay in or come out, Bexit will be blamed for everything by Politicians.

They've done a pretty good job of spinning the same with regard to the EU in spite of the reality so I doubt much will change in that regard.

Still, they may be right, in the current "proposed" deal the UK agree's that the 4 freedoms must be respected, it's already ruled out free movement of goods after withdrawal.

If you're a business that relies on JIT and free movement of goods.......

It never occurs to them that if they'd done their jobs better, we might never have wanted a referendum. They have sleepwalked into this situation by never listening to the people and being completely out of touch with the zeitgeist. 

Indeed.

Edited by Magilla

14 hours ago, Magilla said:

For the past 50 or so years, managing the decline is all successive governments have done with the country.  De-industrialisation has been official government policy throughout that time. We are now a service based economy built on debt.

Edited by Hots on

52 minutes ago, Hots on said:

For the past 50 or so years, managing the decline is all successive governments have done with the country.  De-industrialisation has been official government policy throughout that time.We are now a service based economy built on debt.

Not quite,  we're still the worlds 8th largest industrial nation though yeah, 80% of economy comes from services. A shame we're jeapordizing that :(

On 11/23/2018 at 4:34 PM, woodview said:

Well, that sounds good if you are predicting our current 10 year- high wage growth will continue for another 2-4 years. 😉

I’m not predicting that of course,  and that ‘record wage growth’ is not really being reflected in U.K. savings statistics, is it? It’s plumbing record lows instead. Funny that (...except for the poor bar stewards at the coal face of U.K. ‘record wage growth’ reality).

9 minutes ago, L00b said:

I’m not predicting that of course,  and that ‘record wage growth’ is not really being reflected in U.K. savings statistics, is it? It’s plumbing record lows instead. Funny that (...except for the poor bar stewards at the coal face of U.K. ‘record wage growth’ reality).

I'm not au fait with savings statistics, but I do know we are in a period of wage growth. People may simply be spending the extra money or paying off debt rather than saving. In terms of a referendum, Osbornes predicted recession, tax rises  etc etc haven't happened. Growth has remained, as has wage growth. So, my comment simply refers to the 'if things carry on like they have' phrase in your post.

Sure ,things are dismal for lots of people. Are they because of Brexit? I'd say other factors vastly  or completely outstrip any effect of the Leave vote.

I read in the papers today that Blair was on the Andre's Marr show yesterday, {Sunday), wanting a second EU referendum as a way to 'Unite the country' & I quote Blair from today's I newspaper; "I promise you, if the country votes again to leave, I accept it & I'll try & make it work." 

Hmmm! Mighty big of him.  

Full Brexit. No Deal. No money to Brussels.

It's what the majority of ordinary, decent people now want. Give our money to the NHS - NOT to the big business loving EU.  

Over two thirds of Sheffield Forum contributors, and the general public, say a big NO to a second referendum.

They recognise that NO DEAL is far better than a bad deal. 

Edited by Car Boot