Second referendum time? SF Poll

Message added by Vaati

As you can't seem to post like adults, this thread is now closed. You are not to post a new thread or derail any other thread on the subject.

Should we have a 2nd referendum now we know the deal?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a 2nd referendum now we know the deal?

• Yes
    • No
    • I wont be voting anyway Im sick of it all

This poll is closed to new votes

25 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I personally hope there is a second one. If brexit wins again, the country will be a laughing stock

You quote my post yet you haven't read it and if you have read it, you didn't understand it.

Brexit cannot win another referendum. 

A second referendum will not be held just because we are bored and can't think of anything better to do. A second referendum will be held for four basic reasons.

1. The country is in a mess and needs a way out of it.

2. Promises made by the leave campaign in 2016 are completely unrealistic.

3. Any form of Brexit will be deeply damaging to the UK economy.

4. It is widely accepted that the majority of the population do not wish to leave the EU.

34 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

So in two years can we have another one, when the current 16-18 yos, see the last two years (in 2 years time)? You could carry this on as long as you want. I do. I still blame Blair for this, and doubtless most young people haven't even heard of him, let alone what his party did to this country.

I personally hope there is a second one. If brexit wins again, the country will be a laughing stock thanks to the remainers who are pushing for it, and if remain wins, it'll prove my written work that democracy is now dictated by the leftie looneys who can't see their own similarities to how the far-right got in. I can't lose.

You can lose. We can all lose sadly. I can’t see an upside to all this. Blair needs to take his fair share of the blame but he got one thing right. He almost had a referendum - it was in a manefesto if memory serves - but decided it was too complicated for Joe soap to comprehend fully. He was dead right. I’ve read up a fair bit and I’ve hardly scratched the surface. I ticked a box but I didn’t have much of clue of what the other one would really mean if it won. I don’t think anybody does.

42 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

If brexit wins again, the country will be a laughing stock thanks to the remainers who are pushing for it, and if remain wins, it'll prove my written work that democracy is now dictated by the leftie looneys who can't see their own similarities to how the far-right got in. I can't lose.

If Brexit wins again, then the country will be even more of a laughing stock than it is already as a result of the first vote. It will almost certainly mean no-deal. Leavers already look like complete morons for voting to remove their rights while making themselves and their nation poorer.

If even a small part of the supposed "project fear" predictions are realised, they'll look even *more* stupid.

If remain wins, it won't prove any claim you've made, entirely the opposite. People of all persuasions who can be bothered to connect the dots simply decided it would be better to remain now there is more information. No conspiracy theories or lefty loonies required :rolleyes:

42 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I can't lose.

LOL, doesn't seem that way, but if you say so :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

5 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

You can lose. We can all lose sadly. I can’t see an upside to all this. Blair needs to take his fair share of the blame but he got one thing right. He almost had a referendum - it was in a manefesto if memory serves - but decided it was too complicated for Joe soap to comprehend fully. He was dead right. I’ve read up a fair bit and I’ve hardly scratched the surface. I ticked a box but I didn’t have much of clue of what the other one would really mean if it won. I don’t think anybody does.

3 million EUinUK and 2 million UKinEU beg to differ, tfh.

7 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

You missed out children.

Won't you think of the children?

True. No more ERASMUS for them, no more freedom to take summer and winter jobs in the EU27, to study in EU27 universities, to join european academic and research clubs in the EU27, no more <etc>.

They're stripped outright of this fundamental right, and all these opportunities, which their parents and grand-parents had, used, took for granted, and now rescinded.

In reply to quoting statistics,  the polls averaged out pre the referendum generally favoured the remain camp, so I take other people's guesses on what demographics voted with a pinch of salt.

The majority of politicians voted to give us that vote and in reality were too complacent to go out and sell the reasons for staying.

I attended a couple of so called debates pre the referendum and both were held in areas considered to be very safe remain areas and both were preaching to the converted which to me seemed a waste of time.

The only person who really bust a gut selling his message was Farage

In my opinion Party politics is causing and caused most of the current problems.

The fact is that we voted for the politicians to do a job they don't want to do, credit goes to May for trying to achieve this impossible task because there isn't a deal out there that parliament will approve.

On having another referendum even with a remain win the divisions and discontent within society will be magnified.

I have no idea where we go from here and suspect our leaders are the same.

2 hours ago, L00b said:

3 million EUinUK and 2 million UKinEU beg to differ, tfh.

True. No more ERASMUS for them, no more freedom to take summer and winter jobs in the EU27, to study in EU27 universities, to join european academic and research clubs in the EU27, no more <etc>.

They're stripped outright of this fundamental right, and all these opportunities, which their parents and grand-parents had, used, took for granted, and now rescinded.

Ah, ERASMUS. 

The EU mobility programme that attracts students from the higher social economic backgrounds.  Using parental occupation, education and income, those who participate in Erasmus mainly tend to come from very privileged backgrounds. With a high percentage of their parents in professional or executive occupations, their reported parental income is much higher than in the general population. 

ERASMUS, like the EU itself, mainly benefits the elite. Essentially it is for posh kids who travel.

Edited by Car Boot

10 hours ago, Thorpist said:

Cyclone

just wondering if the people who died took their  last breath saying " don't forget I voted leave".

How did you work out 2 million young voters would vote remain.

The younger demographic voted 85% to remain.  We know how many people have reached 18 since we had the vote.

13 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Ah, ERASMUS. 

The EU mobility programme that attracts students from the higher social economic backgrounds.  Using parental occupation, education and income, those who participate in Erasmus mainly tend to come from very privileged backgrounds. With a high percentage of their parents in professional or executive occupations, their reported parental income is much higher than in the general population. 

ERASMUS, like the EU itself, mainly benefits the elite. Essentially it is for posh kids who travel.

Such narrow-minded and ill-informed drivel from you, as usual.

I still can’t decide whether you’re trolling, envious or ideologically-brainwashed. Perhaps a combination of all 3.

The ERASMUS program paid my SHU course fees in the 90s. SHU suggestion at the time, we applied and it worked. Nowt to do with my background whatsoever, didn’t cost my parents nor the U.K. taxpayer a dime.

Your kids aren’t getting that now. My kid will, though. She’ll be at a serious competitive advantage over yours in a few years, with 3 more languages, little to no student debts (none from uni fees), and the freedom to study and/or job search and settle in 27 countries plus the U.K.

Should have thought of the children a bit more, comrade. They’re your future, don’t you know ;) 

The EU Advocate General has just released his opinion on Article 50

In essence we can revoke it ourselves, which I imagine if it were to happen would be done at the very last second.

The ECJ are yet to rule, but it's rare they disagree with the AJ.

The UK should be able to unilaterally cancel its withdrawal from the EU, according to a top European law officer.

The non-binding opinion was delivered by the European Court of Justice's advocate general.

A group of Scottish politicians has asked the court whether the UK can call off Brexit without the consent of other member states.

The Court of Justice (ECJ) will deliver its final ruling at a later date.

The EU made quite the fuss about it, thinking that if it were allowed then other countries might 'try it on'.

I don't believe that, we've got a crap deal and there's nothing to make anyone else think they can do better.

Edited by geared