Second referendum time? SF Poll

Message added by Vaati

As you can't seem to post like adults, this thread is now closed. You are not to post a new thread or derail any other thread on the subject.

Should we have a 2nd referendum now we know the deal?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a 2nd referendum now we know the deal?

• Yes
    • No
    • I wont be voting anyway Im sick of it all

This poll is closed to new votes

45 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Populists exploit fear of immigrants, shifting the blame to them rather than addressing the real source of dissatisfaction.... hmmm, yeah, it has a familar ring to it.

Did you read the article and try to understand? As someone who personifies the attitude and the consequent effects he is describing, it would be useful.

I know you will instantly dismiss it, as you disagree with my Brexit stance, so will automatically discount my other comments. Maybe find out about the author, and his concerns about the rise of the right. Ask yourself if are you helping stop the rise, or actually fueling it. Or just ignore it and carry on.

The question we need to ask is not, “How should we create a centrist bulwark against populism?”, but “How can we give progressive shape to people’s disaffection?” 

16 minutes ago, BrexitGuy said:

But its the same evidence that remainers are using!! Crap off the telly😂😂😂

Nobody knows the true feeling, and to be honest its gonna happen either way. 

Wishful thinking again.

What we do know is that if exactly the same referendum was to happen today with nobody changing their mind and only those who voted last time voting again, leave would 'lose' the referendum by somewhere around a million votes. I can't be asred doing the calculations again but this is basically  because older leave voting people have died and have been replaced by younger remain supporting new voters. This is not an opinion, this is fact. 

So the only way leave could win a second referendum is by increasing their vote to counter that demographic change. Every single poll in the last two years have shown support moving slowly from leave to remain. . So where are these new leave voters going to come from?

Yes, there will be lots of shouty angry leave supporters feeling betrayed but they voted leave last time and will almost certainly vote leave again. So I will ask again. Where will the new leave supporters come from to counter the demographic change? Again, I can't be asred going through the calculations but the remain advantage due to demographic change is adding something like 50,0000 votes per month.

Of course no one knows the exact figures but mine are way closer to the truth than a few facebook posts on a local news programme.

16 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Wishful thinking again.

What we do know is that if exactly the same referendum was to happen today with nobody changing their mind and only those who voted last time voting again, leave would 'lose' the referendum by somewhere around a million votes. I can't be asred doing the calculations again but this is basically  because older leave voting people have died and have been replaced by younger remain supporting new voters. This is not an opinion, this is fact. 

So the only way leave could win a second referendum is by increasing their vote to counter that demographic change. Every single poll in the last two years have shown support moving slowly from leave to remain. . So where are these new leave voters going to come from?

Yes, there will be lots of shouty angry leave supporters feeling betrayed but they voted leave last time and will almost certainly vote leave again. So I will ask again. Where will the new leave supporters come from to counter the demographic change? Again, I can't be asred going through the calculations but the remain advantage due to demographic change is adding something like 50,0000 votes per month.

Of course no one knows the exact figures but mine are way closer to the truth than a few facebook posts on a local news programme.

To put it simply, nobody expected Donald Trump to become the president of America so try not to believe your own hopes are closer to the truth because they're not 🍀

12 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Top  Cats Hat - check your last post, there's an errant '0' in there somewhere, unless the UK population is growing way faster than possible. ☺️

It must be true😂

35 minutes ago, woodview said:

Did you read the article and try to understand? As someone who personifies the attitude and the consequent effects he is describing, it would be useful. I know you will instantly dismiss it, as you disagree with my Brexit stance, so will automatically discount my other comments.

My posts haven't created the effect, they're another consequence of that effect ;)

Maybe find out about the author, and his concerns about the rise of the right. Ask yourself if are you helping stop the rise, or actually fueling it. Or just ignore it and carry on.

I'm neither helping nor fueling. Just telling it how it is.

One thing is certain, I'm not endorsing it.. I didn't vote leave! :rolleyes:

The question we need to ask is not, “How should we create a centrist bulwark against populism?”, but “How can we give progressive shape to people’s disaffection?” 

Certainly not by voting to leave the EU! Brexit is a pass to the very people & institutions responsible for the disaffection!

Of course, as Trump is finding out, those populist policies rarely work out as planned, so I expect it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

One can hope, in that time, some people will manage to connect the dots... (though I'm not holding my breath).