What to see at lake district?

We are going to the Lake District over Christmas for a weekend trip, having never been before, what are the must see places to visit in such a short time, looking on google maps Ambleside looks like a nice place to visit, we have booked a room at Winster, but we have a car for travelling, anyone got any preferences?

Not sure how good the weather will be for walking, but the coffin route is a nice stroll with excellent scenery. I'd not bother about any high routes in the winter unless you have experience and gear, the weather can be appalling.

Ambleside is my girlfriend's favourite place and whilst it's insufferable in summer with tourists, it should be quietish over Christmas; Doi Intanon is great for Thai food, the Lily is good for drinks and isn't full of walkers in brand new boots. Apple Pie cafe is nice to drop in for coffee and cake. 

If you do want some gear, then go to Gaynors. I've always found it better than any of the 'chain' outdoor shops in the Lakes.

4 hours ago, the_bloke said:

Not sure how good the weather will be for walking, but the coffin route is a nice stroll with excellent scenery. I'd not bother about any high routes in the winter unless you have experience and gear, the weather can be appalling.

Ambleside is my girlfriend's favourite place and whilst it's insufferable in summer with tourists, it should be quietish over Christmas; Doi Intanon is great for Thai food, the Lily is good for drinks and isn't full of walkers in brand new boots. Apple Pie cafe is nice to drop in for coffee and cake. 

If you do want some gear, then go to Gaynors. I've always found it better than any of the 'chain' outdoor shops in the Lakes.

Thanks the_bloke, i will look for coffin route, we walk every weekend and a nice steady walk like that sounds good, 

12 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Keswick is nice.  Personally I prefer the southern coasts to keep away from all the tourists - places like Cartmel, Arnside and Piel Island if the ferry is running.

http://www.pielisland.co.uk/

Thanks Alchresearch, wow they are nice places, i have  just had a look on google maps, it looks like my two days should have been two weeks.i get where you are coming from with the non tourist spots, but i am guessing that between Christmas and new year,  everyone will be at home enjoying their break.....thanks for your input

I've been up before between Christmas and New Year and Grassmere and Ambleside were still plenty busy.

I wouldn't go near the mountains in winter unless I already knew the routes and/or landscape.

Best to do short drives and stick to low level walks. Elterwater & Chapel Stile are nice and there are loads of great country pubs.

Its an amazing place. Not at all like anywhere else in England.

At the SW end, Black Combe at below 2000' has the best views after an  easy winter walk.

Near Silecroft (railway statin)and Whicham this gentle climb will reveal the snow covered  peaks Scotland, IoM, Yorkshire and much, much more.

If the clouds come in then some invigorating coastal, woodland and estuary walks nearby.