National videogame museum reopens in sheffield!

1 minute ago, nikki-red said:

From this it sounds like the building it was in was unsuitable and they were unable to find anywhere else...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-44643991

exactly, all the 'ooh isn't it dear' and 'it'll fail' comments on here are quite frankly embarrassing.

31 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... the main difference being of course is that people may well return to a cinema on a regular basis to see a different film, whereas it's unlikely they will return to a museum and pay that much to see the same 'exhibits' more than once... :|

the 'exhibits' will be constantly changing.

Just now, haddy said:

Personally I think its in the wrong place. Castlegate area is really run down and many people don't go to that area. It would be better on the Moor

it's actually a catalyst for regeneration , along with the large tech hub in the same building. Plenty of people go to that area actually.

1 minute ago, Wazzock said:

it's actually a catalyst for regeneration , along with the large tech hub in the same building. Plenty of people go to that area actually.

Exactly.

Plus its easy to say  it should be somewhere  else but the whole reason it moved from Nottingham is because they couldnt find anywhere big enough. Where on the Moor is big enough?
The more people attracted to different parts of the City Centre the better.

25 minutes ago, Mister M said:

In spite of some on here knocking it before they've been, I'm looking forward to going to it. Hopefully it'll kick start the regeneration of that area

I have no intention of visiting a retro videogame museum unless I can sit at an old-fashioned tennis or breakout table and drink a pint. I hope it is successful but the idea that it will kick start regeneration is pants. Its a common phrase used when something like this happens and as with many other projects that have meant to do the same it also will rely on funding which as yet is still forthcoming.

42 minutes ago, apelike said:

I have no intention of visiting a retro videogame museum unless I can sit at an old-fashioned tennis or breakout table and drink a pint. I hope it is successful but the idea that it will kick start regeneration is pants. Its a common phrase used when something like this happens and as with many other projects that have meant to do the same it also will rely on funding which as yet is still forthcoming.

you haven't a clue about the organisation or it's aims, or funding have you? 

37 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Good luck to them. The ones by the seaside are now full of slot machines and 2p machines and none of the old favourites. I very rarely venture into the city centre but that might tempt me.

Hope the floors are authentically  sticky!

it's not just an amusement arcade, they have exhibitions and guests etc 

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

In spite of some on here knocking it before they've been, I'm looking forward to going to it. Hopefully it'll kick start the regeneration of that area

it's the usual story on here, just endless moaning

A brand new shiny website but its good to see the old fashioned SF mentality goes on strong....

The same old faithful filling up the threads whinging about "....how nothing ever comes to Sheffield..."  and "....this city is always behind xxx..." and right on cue as soon as something does get built here we get ".....waaa its too expensive...."    "....waaa it costs money to enter"   "waaa..... it wont change anything"  "waaa...it looks rubbish (even though I have never set foot in the place)"   

Honestly, makes you wonder why do they bother.     Build a wall around the boundary and leave it to fester along with its rose tinted dinosaurs mourning the days of the great works and Castle Kiosk selling its fags and papers. 

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

A brand new shiny website but its good to see the old fashioned SF mentality goes on strong....

The same old faithful filling up the threads whinging about "....how nothing ever comes to Sheffield..."  and "....this city is always behind xxx..." and right on cue as soon as something does get built here we get ".....waaa its too expensive...."    "....waaa it costs money to enter"   "waaa..... it wont change anything"  "waaa...it looks rubbish (even though I have never set foot in the place)"   

Honestly, makes you wonder why do they bother.     Build a wall around the boundary and leave it to fester along with its rose tinted dinosaurs mourning the days of the great works and Castle Kiosk selling its fags and papers. 

Succinctly put, it's like King Canute and the tide sometimes...

People whinge about nothing coming here, and when something DOES come here, what do we get? - more whinging ...

Edited by Wazzock