Better judge than you?

Whose judgment would you trust to be better than your own and in which circumstances?

If you go to the doctors, I assume that you would take his/her advice 99% of the time?

Your childs teacher, you would take their advice?

Climate change scientists?

Our MPs, of whom 469 are pro-EU and 158 anti-EU

It was the interview with Peter Lilley on radio four that got me thinking. He was offended that they got an 'expert' on and implied that he should know more than a MP.

An interesting question?

Poor analogy. A Doctor, a car mechanic, a school teacher etc have a specific set of skills and, ideally wouldn’t have other agendas ( I know). 

39 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Whose judgment would you trust to be better than your own and in which circumstances?

If you go to the doctors, I assume that you would take his/her advice 99% of the time?

Your childs teacher, you would take their advice?

Climate change scientists?

Our MPs, of whom 469 are pro-EU and 158 anti-EU

It was the interview with Peter Lilley on radio four that got me thinking. He was offended that they got an 'expert' on and implied that he should know more than a MP.

An interesting question?

It’s also irrelevant.  The MPs  voted overwhelmingly for a Referendum on EU membership. 

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

An interesting question?

Think about the times you've heard MPs talking about something you have expertise in. What did you think of what they were saying? How do you think people with experience in areas you don't think of what MP say about their areas? Why would you trust an MP on any matter over a subject expert?

It's worth noting that some MPs have experience in some areas and can have useful insights into those areas. None of them can be experts in all the things they are expected to make decisions on though.

Edited by altus

It depends on the topic. Some are very objective things, to which there is a definitive right or wrong answer.

Education is maybe more subjective, because the temprament of the child starts to come in to play.

By the time you are in politics, it has become highly subjective. The pro's and con's of any debate have different importance to different people,depending on multiple factors.

If Peter Lilley was offended that they got an expert in, perhaps he was fearful that they might contradict him. I've noticed that some in the Brexit debate become very insecure when they are contradicted.

With regards to the broader question, there are some whose opinions I trust and some that I don't - some may be on qulaification (e.g. a doctor), but sometimes it's based on me knowing them a bot better

4 hours ago, altus said:

Think about the times you've heard MPs talking about something you have expertise in. What did you think of what they were saying? How do you think people with experience in areas you don't think of what MP say about their areas? Why would you trust an MP on any matter over a subject expert?

It's worth noting that some MPs have experience in some areas and can have useful insights into those areas. None of them can be experts in all the things they are expected to make decisions on though.

No, but then they should not comment. e.g. Esther McVeys ridiculous comments about the backstop on tv this week. Not hard to actually read up on brexit details given you almost certainly are going to be asked about it!

3 hours ago, nightrider said:

No, but then they should not comment. e.g. Esther McVeys ridiculous comments about the backstop on tv this week. Not hard to actually read up on brexit details given you almost certainly are going to be asked about it!

Yes but it's Esther McVey, she's hardly the sharpest tool in the box. Her tenure at the DWP proves that.