A new influx of boat people from france.

39 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Out of interest what do you think is the reason why they are risking drowning and apparently paying quite a lot of money when they are already in one of the safest and richest countries in the world? Clearly there is a reason, as they are taking that risk, but I can't see what the pull factor from France is? 

More than likely English speakers from the middle east perhaps with family / friends in Britain.

Here in France the majority of refugees are French speaking from North Africa.

Edited by Longcol

7 minutes ago, mickey finn said:

Let them stop at your house then

Lol - when I lived in Sheffield local dimwits used refer to the famiy next door as "illegals" / "asylum seekers" etc - the family originally from the Yemen who'd lived there since the 60's, owned a few shops, kids at college etc. 

AFAIK no-one has to have a refugee / asylum seeker living with them.

Edited by Longcol

I don't think I've ever seen such a display of openly xenophobic dogwhistles in a single thread that stayed open so long on Sheffield Forum.

Sign of the times. Politicians must be absolutely loving how this is new normal is working out for them.

Edited by L00b

33 minutes ago, L00b said:

I don't think I've ever seen such a display of openly xenophobic dogwhistles in a single thread that stayed open so long on Sheffield Forum.

Sign of the times. Politicians must be absolutely loving how this is new normal is working out for them.

No,of course it's nothing of the kind, regardless of how you see it your boat people are here illegally and are not real refugees. Why do think they would sneak in when they could arrive cheaper on a plane then claim asylum ?