A new influx of boat people from france.

4 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Being a refugee doesn't make you some kind of idiot.  If you attempt a sea crossing, even a short one, in an unpowered dingy, you know that there's some fairly high level of risk involved.

I expect you're correct though and that by the point they realise they've already paid $$$ to criminal gangs and don't really feel like they're in a position to refuse.

Also most likely tired and worn down by the journey, situation and conditions that they've already faced; leading them to make bad decisions and be easily manipulated.

17 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Those may well be the reasons, but if so I think the risk of crossing has to have been exaggerated.

Surely it’s not worth the risk of dying just to get somewhere that speaks English as a first language (the vast majority of French can speak English) or where friends or family are, especially when there are other methods (which the vast majority of asylum seekers use). 

Having lived in France for the last six months (and spent numerous holidays over here for over 35 years) I can assure you that this is not the case.

Perhaps you're getting France mixed up with the Netherlands?

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

Being a refugee doesn't make you some kind of idiot.  If you attempt a sea crossing, even a short one, in an unpowered dingy, you know that there's some fairly high level of risk involved.

I expect you're correct though and that by the point they realise they've already paid $$$ to criminal gangs and don't really feel like they're in a position to refuse.

I don’t think they are coming on unpowered dingys are they?  They’re either small boats or powered dingys I thought?

People cross the channel on small boats all the time. I expect the smugglers tell them that it is entirely safe, and they use the number of successful crossings and the lack of any casualties as proof. 

13 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Nonsense. 

France is more generous in its asylum support than the UK. 

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-asylum-support-doesnt-go-far-france/

Odd the way they work these figures out don't you think. I read the other day that the figure for the UK is actually £55 not £36. I suppose you can manipulate figures to prove your point of view.

Angel1.

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Having lived in France for the last six months (and spent numerous holidays over here for over 35 years) I can assure you that this is not the case.

Perhaps you're getting France mixed up with the Netherlands?

Having looked it up the percentage is a lot lower than I thought (39%). I’ve only really spent significant time in the major cities where the percentage is higher. 

6 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Odd the way they work these figures out don't you think. I read the other day that the figure for the UK is actually £55 not £36. I suppose you can manipulate figures to prove your point of view.

Angel1.

Where did you read it? A link to the source would be useful.

8 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Why is it odd? 

17 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Last year, 2018, the weekly allowance for a single asylum seeker was £37.75

9 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Last year, 2018, the weekly allowance for a single asylum seeker was £37.75

The figure of £55 stuck in my head as that is the amount that our Government have taken off me, as I wait my turn to challenge the Government at my tribunal. 

Angel1.