Increase in knife crime.

13 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But if it ends up isolating communities and driving an even thicker them-and-us wedge between them and the police it will cost us in the long run.

thats the issue, these are generally kids that are looking for something, alienated from society, got nothing, generally from poor backgrounds, get sucked into the gang life, something to live for (and die for)

same as a lot of the terrorists that are groomed, they have nothing, feel isolated, alienated, looking for something to be a part of, normally with a history of petty crime, drink, drugs etc

you dont stop alienation and isolation by hasseling them ont he streets, essentially driving them deeper underground into "their world" and ingraining the hatred of police and society deeper.

Every generation thinks they invented gang violence.  They didn't.  There is nothing special about today's society that has created this because it's been around forever.   There are several books on Sheffield's early gang culture and the stabbings that came with them.   Move along.  Nothing to see here.

10 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Somebody stabbed at a youth club last week, but I take your point.

the first things governments cut are things for kids and youths to do and engage with, then wonder why they dont engage and do stuff Oo

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

focuss on football and airports if you like but you fully understand that those are different to the general streets, getting searched on the streets all day everyday (especially based on race, age and gender) would be highly annoying, and will actually drive kids to hate the police and society more. Causing it to get worse not better.

I get searched at football, and lots of others do too. It's not caused us to hate police and society. I'm not focused on it, it's a directly relevant example of it happening everyday now, to everyday people.

Lots of police have got plenty of 'room for improvement' , no doubt, but ultimately their purpose is to fight crime. My suggestion is search anybody under 25, especially male, regardless. Do it with a scanner, and explain it's happening to everybody. Easy to explain it's a crackdown based on a current problem. Some will kick off, most will understand.

Also, it is just a part of the solution. The real answer lies in tackling the root causes, of course.

17 minutes ago, woodview said:

I get searched at football, and lots of others do too. It's not caused us to hate police and society. I'm not focused on it, it's a directly relevant example of it happening everyday now, to everyday people.

Lots of police have got plenty of 'room for improvement' , no doubt, but ultimately their purpose is to fight crime. My suggestion is search anybody under 25, especially male, regardless. Do it with a scanner, and explain it's happening to everybody. Easy to explain it's a crackdown based on a current problem. Some will kick off, most will understand.

Also, it is just a part of the solution. The real answer lies in tackling the root causes, of course.

as i said football and airports are different, stop using those as an example, you KNOW you will get searched going there, you choose to go knowing you will be searched, being searched going to the shops or to your girlfriends is different, completely different.

Being searched because of your colour, race, age or gender is completely different to just going to a football match too,

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

the first things governments cut are things for kids and youths to do and engage with, then wonder why they dont engage and do stuff Oo

I run a sports club every year since taking over in 2010(ish) it i've offered free sports sessions - the youth club is next door to us - no takers ever.  

9 minutes ago, melthebell said:

as i said football and airports are different, stop using those as an example, you KNOW you will get searched going there, you choose to go knowing you will be searched, being searched going to the shops or to your girlfriends is different, completely different.

Being searched because of your colour, race, age or gender is completely different to just going to a football match too,

In your opinion.

Why is it ok for me to be searched going to football, but not a bunch of 16 year olds hanging about after dark? So, I will use it as an example, sorry if you don't like it.

In this scenario being searched based on colour and race is not an acceptable criteria. I'd say age and gender is.

If I were aiming to catch knife carriers it would be young men I'd be searching.

Theresa May doesn't think that there is a link between resources and increase in knife crime. Her Home Secretary begs to differ.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sajid-javid-knife-crime-theresa-may-police-cuts-austerity-tory-a8810021.html

Just now, Mister M said:

Theresa May doesn't think that there is a link between resources and increase in knife crime. Her Home Secretary begs to differ.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sajid-javid-knife-crime-theresa-may-police-cuts-austerity-tory-a8810021.html