Old Gaumont Cinema (Barkers Pool)

Hello enigma,

The cinema you want info on was opened about 1929 and was called the REGENT,(talkie films started about 1930) name changed to Gaumont about 1945/46

Hope this helps.

Good luck vilink

Yes this website : -

Old Cinemas Of Sheffield Is where I collated as much information as possible from the old cinemas of Sheffield. Many people have helped by sending in pictures.

Also related to the Gaumont . .

H.G.Chamberlain Regent Cinema Archive/ This is an area where you can see the display scenery that the staff used to put up in the cinema foyer to compliment each film 70 years ago. Mr Chamberlain's Son now living in the midlands sent me these precious pictures which his father took for me to scan.

Great sites - do you know anything else about the Grand near West Bar. In particular, your site mentions trade fairs in 1922-1924 and its use as a shelter for the homeless. Do you have any references about the trade fairs and when was it used as a shelter?

Sorry for all the questions!

TRW

• 1 month later...

Archived