Old Gaumont Cinema (Barkers Pool)

Notes from an old booklet - The ABC of Sheffield Cinemas

REGENT, Barkers Pool

Opened: 26-12-27; reopened as Gaumont 1 and 2 23-7-69 Gaumont 3 opened 25-11-79

Architect: WE Trent; for the 1968/69 conversion Gavin Paterson and Son

Capacity: 2300 (1927); 2179 (1936); 1887 (1970 after

twinning) 2031 (1980 after the opening of Gaumont 3)

Proprietors: Provincial Cinematograph Theatres Ltd.; by 1927 the company was controlled by Gaumont British Picture Corporation, which in the 1940s was incorporated within thE Rank organisation.

Closed (for twinning) 18-10-68; finally closed 7-11-85

Subsequent use: Demolished, to make way for new cinema and shops complex; the cinema opened as the Odeon, Burgess Street on the 20-8-87

NOTES

The Regent was renamed Gaumont on the 27-7-46.

After conversion the capacities of the auditoria were Gaumont 1, 73, Gaumont 2, 1150 and Gaumont 3, 144.

Hope it helps

• 2 years later...
Bob Dylan played there in 1966, on his "Dylan Goes Electric" tour.

Not really sure why, I can only guess that the City Hall was previously booked

Happy days!! I saw The Beatles there in the 60's and was a bridesmaid at a wedding reception held in The Green Room on the same day that England won the world cup. You can imagine the men being thrilled at being a t a wedding on world cup day

Almost 50 years down the line, I can picture the front of house man, now, a small chap in his brown uniform and brown commissionaire's cap. Several players of football teams staying at the Grand Hotel, the night before a game, would go to the Gaumont for their evening entertainment - autograph hunters in pursuit!

How times change, I remember starting to frequent the Regent back in the 1950s, the admission charge was 2/3d in the stalls, I couldn't afford the circle. Sunday evening opening began and queueing along Burgess St. one had to listen to religous offerings from various people. I returned home one Sunday evening and my father, not a religous man, was absolutely disgusted to discover that I had been to the pictures on a SUNDAY! evening.

Archived