Beware - Not all energy suppliers participate in Government Warm Home scheme

just a word for any pensioners out there to be careful when using price  comparison sites i changed suppliers in the spring this year and it's cost me £140. When i got my letter for the Government energy discount last week i was informed that some energy suppliers were not participating in the scheme, and it looks as if they dont need to tell you before you sign up .  

• nikki-red changed the title to Not all energy suppliers participate in Government Warm Home scheme
  • nikki-red changed the title to Beware - Not all energy suppliers participate in Government Warm Home scheme

Thanks for all that been told by a neighbour who was a business manager that the one thing that would make him sit up was a small claims  court. It only costs £25 and would decide if the company should have made me aware of the non payment before signing up. 

1 hour ago, melcebu said:

Thanks for all that been told by a neighbour who was a business manager that the one thing that would make him sit up was a small claims  court. It only costs £25 and would decide if the company should have made me aware of the non payment before signing up. 

Problem is if you lose then you will have to pay the other sides costs which with a big company and solicitors fees could be quite substantial.

53 minutes ago, apelike said:

Problem is if you lose then you will have to pay the other sides costs which with a big company and solicitors fees could be quite substantial.

You cannot claim legal representation costs in a small claims track. Certain small costs can be recovered, but not those of any assigned legal representative. 

The detail related to costs in statute can be found here >> https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part27#27.14

But as a simple overview of what that refers to is here. Source >> https://www.fosters-solicitors.co.uk/news/litigation/the-small-claims-track-who-pays/651

Under Part 27 of the Civil Procedure Rules that govern civil disputes, the court will rarely make an order for the losing party to pay sums in respect of the winning party's 'costs, fees and expenses', e.g. legal fees.

There are exceptions to the general rule however which allow the court discretion to make an award for:

• The fixed costs attributable to issuing the claim;
  • Court fees paid by the issuing party;
  • Travel and accommodation expenses which a witness reasonably incurs in attending a hearing;
  • Fees incurred in the instruction of an expert to attend the hearing (limited to £200).
Edited by Happ
Add some further detail

On 12/1/2018 at 12:28 PM, melcebu said:

just a word for any pensioners out there to be careful when using price  comparison sites i changed suppliers in the spring this year and it's cost me £140. When i got my letter for the Government energy discount last week i was informed that some energy suppliers were not participating in the scheme, and it looks as if they dont need to tell you before you sign up .  

Regarding the £140, what was you actually charged that for? For joining another energy supplier or for something else?