Could this be the end of hs2?

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

It's not just about speeding up the journey from London to Birmingham, it's also about increasing capacity on the WCML for stopping services and freight by putting the expresses on a different route, namely HS2.

That said the cost of civil engineering these days is an absolute joke, particularly anything to do with the railways, And it takes forever, part of the reason it's so expensive. The Victorians would have done it by now, even without much in the way of power tools and machinery.

Just cheap Irish navvies.............

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Just cheap Irish navvies.............

I would agree that Health & Safety was not a priority back in Victorian times and that accounted for some of it, but, I would have thought, not that significant. One would think the availability of huge amounts of mechanisation and technology would more than compensate for a more careful build.

That said, one has to realise that as we approach zero risk safety is becomes increasingly expensive, and I would have thought the law  of diminishing returns is already way up the curve on that one. One also has to remember these workers are quite happy to drive themselves and their families round on the roads (statistically more dangerous I would have thought), so, one has to wonder, what we are achieving with this vast expenditure ?

Many people are in favour of zero risk, provided they aren't paying for it.....

Edited by Chekhov

17 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I would agree that Health & Safety was not a priority back in Victorian times and that accounted for some of it, but, I would have thought, not that significant. One would think the availability of huge amounts of mechanisation and technology would more than compensate for a more careful build.

That said, one has to realise that as we approach zero risk safety is becomes increasingly expensive, and I would have thought the law  of diminishing returns is already way up the curve on that one. One also has to remember these workers are quite happy to drive themselves and their families round on the roads (statistically more dangerous I would have thought), so, one has to wonder, what we are achieving with this vast expenditure ?

Many people are in favour of zero risk, provided they aren't paying for it.....

Hmm

Zero risk, you say.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/health-and-safety/construction-worker-deaths-double-any-other-industry-07-07-2023/#:~:text=Stats from the Health and,sector and saw 21 deaths.

Hiw many deaths per annum, would you consider to be reasonable?

11 hours ago, Prettytom said:

I did not say it was zero risk, try carefully reading what I wrote.

What I said was as you approach zero risk the cost of each incremental increase in "safety" becomes ever more expensive.

But, since we are talking about deaths and risk, 45 deaths, whilst regrettable, is not high for a huge industry employing millions of people, and certainly not compared with, say, the 2,000 deaths on the roads, 45 deaths is only about 2.2% of 2,000.

In fact construction isn't even the most dangerous industry as that article points out :

On the rate of fatal injuries per 100,000 workers, construction was the third most dangerous industry, with 2.1 deaths per 100,000, compared with agriculture, forestry and fishing’s 7.9 and waste and recycling’s 5.

Compared to fishing it's nearly 4X safer.....

As an aside, I seem to remember reading that being a fireman is not actually that dangerous, statistically speaking, compared to some other industries.

Lastly, this sentence (in your linked to article) is revealing :

Among the construction worker deaths in the period was father-of-four Jason Waring, 48, who worked for Bylor at Hinkley Point C. He died after a traffic incident at the Somerset facility in November in what was the first fatality in the history of the £26bn project.

So is that really a construction death ?

Or a road death ?

Edited by Chekhov