France is in chaos .

43 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

not necessarily so, do you think we would still have the poll tax if there wasn't mass demonstrations?

The poll tax riots were a disgrace.  The poll tax riots didn't make Mrs Thatcher change your mind. 

39 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Uncivilised, it may be but it is certaily effective.

French workers have a much higher standard of living, better terms and conditions, greater job security, protected pensions and a much better health service than we have. The interests of their farmers and fishermen  are taken very seriously in negotiations with other countries.

A major reason for this is that the French as a nation have a lot of pride in themselves and will take to the streets almost immediately to achieve their aims.

What do we do?

Mutter into our pints about how bad things are then vote UKIP to 'stick it to the man!' While we are obsessed with celebrity and queue up in droves to fawn over the latest minor royal, the French dragged their royals and aristocracy out of their chateaux and palaces two hundred years ago and chopped their heads off.

If you want something you have to be prepared to fight for it.

I don't think the French  protesters vandals who have  damaged the  Arc de Triomphe monument have any pride in themselves  or their country.

12 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

A very effective tactic.

A shameful tactic.

Edited by Lockdoctor

I do love these topics full of people talking about the internal politics of another country as if they actually know what they're talking about rather than them just picking up a few talking points from what our newspapers have reported and then filling in the blanks with made-up facts that match their own personal prejudices.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

20 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The poll tax riots were a disgrace.  The poll tax riots didn't make Mrs Thatcher change your mind

I don't think the French  protesters vandals who have  damaged the  Arc de Triomphe monument have any pride in themselves  or their country.

A shameful tactic.

so please enlighten us, what did make Thatcher change her mind then?

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

So if as seems increasingly likely,  Brexit is cancelled and the far right takes to the streets as some people are predicting, will you condemn them?

If Brexit is cancelled I will condemn the Government and Parliament for not respecting democracy.  If democracy is not respected and promises made for the UK to leave the EU are not honoured then there is a possibility civil unrest might happen. There  is more justification for civil unrest when the results of elections are not honoured.  I will condemn any group who riot and cause vandalism. 

4 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

so please enlighten us, what did make Thatcher change her mind then?

Please enlighten me when Mrs Thatcher changed her mind?

2 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

If Brexit is cancelled I will condemn the Government and Parliament for not respecting democracy.  If democracy is not respected and promises made for the UK to leave the EU are not honoured then there is a possibility civil unrest might happen. There  is more justification for civil unrest when the results of elections are not honoured.  I will condemn any group who riot and cause vandalism. 

Please enlighten me when Mrs Thatcher changed her mind?

do we have the poll tax??

2 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

There  is more justification for civil unrest when the results of elections are not honoured. 

It wasn't an election, it was an advisory referendum which showed that there was no real support for change. If another referendum is held, the 2016 result becomes democratically irrelevant even if the result is exactly the same.