Hallam Towers redevelopment plans

By clearing the land and re-building on it.

The planning application mentions "partial demolition" which I expect refers to the low rise adjoining buildings.

The tower is perfect for conversion to apartments as is; in fact if they knocked it down they'd struggle to get permission for anything as tall or taller I'd bet. There are reasonably extensive grounds surrounding the tower which they will fill with new build, almost certainly low rise. I'd guess that it's the existence of the grounds in an area where housing is expensive and there is nowhere to build more that lead to the commercial decision by Holiday Inn to close the business and sell the property for development at a time when other hotel businesses are investing in new hotels in Sheffield (notably though in the city centre and without any surrounding land).

As for aesthetics, if they give it a lick of paint and replace the glass it will look fantastic; certainly head and shoulders better than any of the apartment blocks built in recent years. If they've any sense they'll sell the apartments based on the modernist aesthetics.

I agree they will save it if they can, but it is all down to profit, if they can make more money by refurbishing the tower (it is over 40 years old and designed as a hotel, conversion to apartments might not be possible) then it will be saved, if they can make more money by demolishing it they will.

• 5 years later...
It's a fantastic building and should not and will not be demolished. It really sets off that hillside, views from Banner Cross or Nether Green would not be the same without it.

The planning permission issues are probably mostly to do with the high density of pokey little low rise flats they want to build in the grounds.

It is an interesting building, and Sheffield City Council seem to like wasting money demolishing potentially useful buildings, just look what happened to the town hall extension. Oh and incidentally my Father was the Senior Contracts manager who was in charge of the construction of the Hallam Tower Hotel. It was completed in 1964, which was the year of my birth.

Sheffield University have plans to revamp that area, most of the existing buildings will go.

Sheffield University and the Hallam university already have too many buildings in my opinion, they should not be allowed any more.

The Hallam Towers Hotel should be fully brought up to date as a very good 4 star hotel in 2011.

It's a fantastic building and should not and will not be demolished. It really sets off that hillside, views from Banner Cross or Nether Green would not be the same without it.

The planning permission issues are probably mostly to do with the high density of pokey little low rise flats they want to build in the grounds.

My Father worked for "MJ GLEESON PLC" as I did, and He was the senior Contracts Manager during the construction of the Hallam Tower Hotel, which was completed in 1964.

I have a soft spot for the place: we had our wedding reception there 35 years ago. (The dessert was a bit suspect though: it was meant to be rum baba but my dad insisted it was common-or-garden spotted dick.) I also met Leonard Cohen there that same year.

Back on topic: at the time people were impressed we had the reception at such a posh hotel, but in fact it was fairly ordinary, and no more expensive than lots of other places we priced up.

I had my wedding reception there too - September 25th 1975! I thought it was pretty ordinary too! We stayed there overnight and all our wedding presents disapeared overnight! Reception was looking after them but no one knew anything next morning! I was gutted!

Archived