Do you remember the cinema catching fire in Fitzalan Sq. ?

I had just come out of Granville College with my mates and could see over to the city centre and saw loads and loads of thick black smoke filling the sky, we had no idea then what it was so we walked alot quicker into town that day to all catch our buses home from Fitzalan Square just t see what was happening. We were as shocked as everyone else to see the cinema literally gutted and falling down as we all watched. Sad day really as I used to get taken there in school holidays by my Grandma, last film I saw there was The Rescuers !!

I remember that too. It must have been about 1984 or 85, I think. I'd just come out of school and could see the smoke billowing from the town centre. The school bus driver mentioned that it was the cinema in Fitzalan Square (was it the Classic? I can't remember its name now). I do remember seeing The Rescuers there too, and The Fox and the Hound :) .

It was The Classic and I seem to remember some scandle or dubious circumstances about it burning down.

As I remember the owners had applied to have it demolished and the site redeveloped but were refused because it was a listed building. Shortly afterwards it caught fire and burnt with a ferocity which implied that some accellent was involved. Some investigation was launched but I do not remember the outcome.

I may of course have got this completely wrong!!!

I was off school for some reason, in town with my mum. We walked out of the subway besides C&A and saw it on fire.

the film being shown at the time it burnt down was Blazing Saddles ironically

Must have been gas from the beans lighting the camp fire!

• 5 months later...
It was The Classic and I seem to remember some scandle or dubious circumstances about it burning down.

As I remember the owners had applied to have it demolished and the site redeveloped but were refused because it was a listed building. Shortly afterwards it caught fire and burnt with a ferocity which implied that some accellent was involved. Some investigation was launched but I do not remember the outcome.

I may of course have got this completely wrong!!!

That's right it was investigated as you say,don't know the outcome though.

Archived