Whitsun tide parade

That was the Red Lion, with the field at the back where the kids were allowed in. (be called a 'beer garden' these days). The White lion is nearer to the railway bridge :thumbsup:

Well I got the Lion right artisan Lol

Worry not, my memory is not what it once was but I used to go there on those occasions, God knows why, but it was the thing of the time. It's a mistake many still make but a constant reminder for me is the hospital of that name just up the road! I pass both every time I go to town. I wonder if you know that a few years ago, the gates at the Firth Building end of the park were removed and stolen?

It's years since I've been in the park. I've heard the bandstand is coming back. I went there on Sunday afternoons with a blanket just to relax or to revise. Roger Taylor and his mum started their tennis playing at the Crookes Valley end, many years ago. All this was before blanket sports' coverage on TV took over my Sundays.

Back to the original, the parks, the Star on Whit Tuesday was full of pictures from the Whit-Sings in the parks around Sheffield. As I pointed out in a Star Walk thread; Sunday, you went round to see folk in your Whitsun clothes - new snake belt etc, Monday was the park and Tuesday, the Star Walk.

I like nostalgia, I love reminiscing but I shake my head in disbelief at that line-up! I soon swopped it by playing cricket.

Sunday, you went round to see folk in your Whitsun clothes - new snake belt etc,

Gawd - Sunday Whit Clothes - it always seemed I got a new pair of red sandals - trawled round teh family and neighbours for a few coppers.

That does remind me of a funny/sad (depends on your outlook) situation one Whistuntide. We had all left Crookesmoor School and were in our first year at Myers Grove, so by then we were the 'big boys' - long trousers etc - and of course, in those days, compulsory school uniform - except for one poor kid. He was the only child of relatively old, and very strict/strange parents who forced him to wear his new Whit Clothes to School.

I can still remember the poor sod in short trousers, sandals and some old fashioned jacket - not only did he get a real ribbing from all the kids but a severe bollocking from the year tutor as well

I remember the Whit walk around Stannington - each church had a banner and we all got new socks and knickers ! Then in the afternoon there were races and games behind the Lomas Hall and tea in the church hall ! God, I am showing my age now !

• 6 months later...

I remeber the Whit Walks. I belonged to the Methodist Church at Parkwood Springs (previously Mount Tabor, Parson Cross) and from Parkwood Springs we used to walk to Royal Infirmary on Infirmary Road and sing outside the ward windows and up to Weston Park for the Whit Sing. The May Queen and her attendants always used to walk in front of the banner. I remember having new clothes for Whitsuntide and all the kids used to want to be one of the string bearers on the banner.

What times!

Anyone remember the whitsun tide parades in darnall via High Hazles Park

and Goffs sweet shop at Darnall

We bought Goffs sweet shop in 1972 and lived there for 12 years before moving, I remember well the parades, my children used to love the music especially the big drum, I also remember with affection the parades in Meersbrook Park when I was young, we used to go in our new clothes and friends and relatives would give us sixpence or a shilling, which we would proudly put into out new bags.