Remembering Certain Smells

My first plastic "teenage doll" many many years ago. Her hair was glued on. I suppose she was the fore-runner to the "barbie doll". I loved the smell of that doll more than the doll itself. Just occasionally I might get a whiff/memory of that doll and then it is gone. I will allways remember it though. How old was I? About 7 I reckon. So that would be the late 1950's. Mmmmmm.....I am craving the scent of my doll right now. lol. I wonder what they put in plastic back then? lol

The smell of newly baked home made bread cakes.

Evening in Paris perfume all the Mum's used to wear.

Toad in the hole baking.

and the horrible Co-op smell of rancid bacon, strong cheese mixed with the unmistakeable smell of mice. Ugh!

Not forgetting the air raid shelters- phew. I can almost smell it now, where is the air freshener?

When about 12-or-so, and on a really hot, humid day in high summer, I had the misfortune to sit next to a heavily pregnant woman on a Sheffield bus.

I presume it was the weather (and/or she was labouring under a couple of heavy shopping bags) but she smelled to high heaven....

Put me off pregnant women there and then - I suppose I assumed that all 'women with child' would smell the same!

I still think it looks a really ugly 'condition' to this day...

Archived