Remembering Certain Smells

The all pervading stench from the Gentlemens Toilet on Platform C of Pond Street Bus Station. The poor travellers who would wait for the 92 and 93 would be bombarded with the eye-watering odour of stale ammonia, which increased with every new visitor to the place. You really had to be desperate to use it, probably the reason many men developed strong bladders!:hihi:

Certainly, school smells (that's an adjective and noun; not a noun and verb!).

Polished wooden floors, old creaky desks, gym kit bags and the general smells of cloakrooms. Dusty, fusty smells. The smells of pencils and rubbers (like when you opened your desk). The smells of the changing rooms/showers at King Edward VII Lower School - a horrid mixture of grass, dirt, sweat, shampoo and soap. Yuk, indeed.

One smell-association which remains with me is the playground at Nethergreen First School in 1975/6. It was newly laid, a fantastic red tarmac which smelled new, especially if it had stopped raining and the sun had come out. It was almost like incense.

Other memorable pongs are:-

Brewery Smells - I love(d) this aroma;

Car Showrooms - the highly polished smell and I'm afraid that includes the smell of the brochures;

Figurine Panini stickers - once you peeled the back off them to stick in whatever collection you were collecting (football usually although I recall a 'Love Is...,' collection);

Bakery smell of Jewitt's on School Road, Crookes.

Heeley/Glossop Road/Sheaf Valley Swimming Baths. Chlorine indeed.

Speedway smells - as someone else mentioned.

Old fashioned sweet shops.

Toy Fayre shop at Ranmoor. Smell of new carpet and all those toys!!

Matey Bubble Bath.

Carbolic soap in the toilets when I was a school kid (yuk)

Sunday dinner cooking when I was 18,19,20 and had been clubbing Sat night and was still in bed! - OOOh the best!

The first smell of toast or bacon sarnies when you get back home after your hols.

Freshly changed bed sheets - the first night you sleep in them.

Freshly cut grass in the summer months - has to be one of my favourites.

Sheffield smells:

The old brewery (Awful) Hops and Yeast

Fairground smells engine oil mixed with hot dog onions and candyfloss and wet grass.

Doughnuts in Woolworths

Coal Dust

Stale beer coming out the pubs

Anymore anyone

What about the best smell of all that used to waft from Davys coffee roasting on Fargate

Sheffield smells:

The old brewery (Awful) Hops and Yeast

Fairground smells engine oil mixed with hot dog onions and candyfloss and wet grass.

Doughnuts in Woolworths

Coal Dust

Stale beer coming out the pubs

Anymore anyone

Davys coffee roasting

Yankee Candles make some really authentic smelly candles. If you see them on sale anywhere just lift the lids and smell 'em.

Meadow Mist......smells of freshly mown grass

Fresh Mint...like picking mint from the garden for mum and the new potatoes.

Green apple....amazing..

How do they get the smells into the candles???:love:

Archived