Remembering Certain Smells

The scent of melted tar on the roads in hot Summer years gone by, a newly-bathed & powdered baby, Sutherlands spreads & the mint rock factory, the morning air at the beginning of a new school year, the disinfectant mixed with sand in the caretaker's bucket, my grandma's meat pies, rubber hoses/bunsen burners in the science lab, school changing rooms (eeuww!), shoe shops, heady hyacinths & a lighted match.

The Pears soap is a good one Sweatshopboy. It's a favorit of mine, takes me back to the 40's being on the train from Sheffield Vic' to Manchester Central. The railways at that time always used to provide Pears in the toilets, small cakes of it. And I agree, it seems to have lost some of it's pungency. Still buy it though, nostalgic fool that I am.

That was the Castrol R vegetable oil you could smell.

We used to put a bit in the petrol tank on street bikes to give the same smell.

As I get older I remember the smells but can't remember where from.

The smell of coffee and bacon are both usually better than the taste itself.

A lot of people seem to like the smell of castrol R from a racing motorbike as I do.Go to a Vintage or Classic bike race meeting at Cadwell Park,Mallory Park etc and fill your lungs !!

Archived