What can be recycled?

4 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Whether positive or negative though, I've bought products that are VAT taxed, from income that has been heavily taxed, paying council tax in a high band, and providing them the output from my spending for free, for them to sell on at profit.

I think you are not understanding what the word 'profit' means; there are zero councils that make a 'profit'.

6 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I think you are not understanding what the word 'profit' means; there are zero councils that make a 'profit'.

Mmm.. Although councils do not make a profit they do accumulate money tucked away in what is called reserves. When comparing councils who have a good record of recycling to SCC then you should also check as to whether those councils also have a local incinerator. Veolia's incinerator is not efficient if it runs at under capacity and as SCC buy the heat/hot water and sell it on (for a profit) it needs to run efficiently to maximise the profit for both parties. 

8 hours ago, apelike said:

Mmm.. Although councils do not make a profit they do accumulate money tucked away in what is called reserves.

Statistics released by MHCLG (the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government) shows that outstanding debt for UK councils stood at £94.08bn in Q3 of 2017-18, up almost £5bn from Q1 2016-17

Meanwhile outstanding investments over the same period have dropped more than £2bn to £33.04bn.

All councils should have legally binding minimum targets for recycling.

I have a very altruistic attitude, if I can save my employer or my council money, I gladly do that.

I bet there are a few bangs when they are incinerating the rubbish from the black bins and the aerosol cans are exploding. I can't see why they won't collect the aerosol cans and send them to Leeds for recycling, surely it is better than incinerating them.

Guilt tripped into doing the job people used to be paid to do, while waste companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

No wages to pay, less machinery to manage and all our stuff ready sorted so we can sell it on.

All under the pretence of "saving the planet"

Like they care lol

16 hours ago, Crosser said:

Guilt tripped into doing the job people used to be paid to do, while waste companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

No wages to pay, less machinery to manage and all our stuff ready sorted so we can sell it on.

So you would recycle more if the jobs were done 'in house'? It's not great for some when they have 2/3/4 large bins, but it does not take any more effort to open the black bin lid vs the green bin lid.

If people are good at recycling the company will charge the council £x million, if people have an attitude about recycling the companies will charge the council £xx million.

Aerosols will be automated, they will have a large magnet to pull metal out of the massive piles of waste.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

So you would recycle more if the jobs were done 'in house'? It's not great for some when they have 2/3/4 large bins, but it does not take any more effort to open the black bin lid vs the green bin lid.

If people are good at recycling the company will charge the council £x million, if people have an attitude about recycling the companies will charge the council £xx million.

Aerosols will be automated, they will have a large magnet to pull metal out of the massive piles of waste.

Aerosols are not recycled in Sheffield, I asked about them and was told to put them in the black bin.

2 hours ago, iansheff said:

Aerosols are not recycled in Sheffield, I asked about them and was told to put them in the black bin.

Who did you ask?

This is what Sheffield council says "Aerosols can be recycled in the co-mingled recycling bins, but they must be completely empty."

Correction, the above is from Sheffield University website, Sheffield council information is rather poor.

Edited by El Cid