Would you say a sign saying 'girls toys' is inappropriate?

Message added by Vaati

The bickering can cease, otherwise accounts will be suspended.

2 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

What do you think the studies concluded?

It concluded what those who conducted it concluded. That they are mind readers, super sleuths and superior beings to all parents globally. 

Edited by BrexitGuy

3 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

"Specifically, children exposed to counter-stereotypic peers were more flexible in their attitudes toward what other children could play with and were more likely to choose an other-gender playmate, using play style as a guide more so than the playmate’s gender. "

Nothing about "actual harm". Nor toy labelling for that matter.

Guest makapaka
10 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

What do you think?

Why don’t you try and contact the student who produced it if you’re unsure as to the conclusion.

its pretty clear.

although I think you know that -which is why you won’t address it.

1 minute ago, WiseOwl182 said:

"Specifically, children exposed to counter-stereotypic peers were more flexible in their attitudes toward what other children could play with and were more likely to choose an other-gender playmate, using play style as a guide more so than the playmate’s gender. "

Nothing about "actual harm". Nor toy labelling for that matter.

" The results of the present study not only underscore the impact of media (specifically print media) on children’s early understanding of gender and conformity to gender stereotypes, but also highlight the potential use of media to challenge and disrupt gender-typed toy choices and playgroups in young children. "

Print media = Toy labelling, amongst other things, doesn't it?

Guest makapaka
4 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

" The results of the present study not only underscore the impact of media (specifically print media) on children’s early understanding of gender and conformity to gender stereotypes, but also highlight the potential use of media to challenge and disrupt gender-typed toy choices and playgroups in young children. "

print media
noun
  1. means of mass communication in the form of printed publications, such as newspapers and magazines.
    "the campaign is currently running in the print media"

12 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

When I look at my children, and my grandchildren, and then read all about this utter rubbish it fills me with dread to think our learned scholars of the day are coming up with this crap, and its filtering into the minds of those who are sponge like enough to believe it. 

My little lot, and the little lots of friends and family all have some beautifully rounded kids, both young and adult. And after wasting half an hour over the family Christmas table, its pretty much odds on that the labelling of anything hasn't had one iota of damage or harm to any of them. 

Of course its my choice to read this crap or just scroll on by, but when some clown believes our children have been somehow brainwashed by normal everyday life, then that becomes a problem. 

Edited by BrexitGuy

10 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

So when a girl see an advert for a play kitchen with a happy smiling girl playing housewife in the Argos catalogue, does that reinforce a gender stereotype? 

3 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

So when a girl see an advert for a play kitchen with a happy smiling girl playing housewife in the Argos catalogue, does that reinforce a gender stereotype? 

Possibly yes. Does it cause "actual harm" though?

Besides, as per my earlier posts, being a full time housewife is an option that very few women these days will actually have. 

3 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Possibly yes. Does it cause "actual harm" though?

Besides, as per my earlier posts, being a full time housewife is an option that very few women these days will actually have. 

Are gender stereotypes good or bad in your opinion?

Thinking about it, your suggestion that women would want the option of being a full time housewife pretty much answers that already.