Being called sweetheart and petal.

Message added by mort

As you seem unable to remain civil the thread is closed and will remain so.   

10 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

What's gender got to do with it? Is it patronising for a woman to be called sweetheart but not a man?

Generally, men don;t get called sickly sweet terms of endearment all their lives. 

Thankfully it is something that is dying out.

13 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Generally, men don;t get called sickly sweet terms of endearment all their lives. 

Thankfully it is something that is dying out.

Generally, men don't use them either. Men can be on the receiving end too and feel equally patronised. Gender is irrelevant.

57 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I'm not surprised she wasn't impressed, it's a pretty direct sexual reference. How old was she by the way?

Hard to remember it was years ago at least 15 ishy I would say I do remember the other two girls she was with huddling together then doing a girly giggle but you could see they weren’t sure how to take it,was the video shop on London road just up from Osman’s.

Edited by *Wallace*

Guest makapaka
24 minutes ago, Halibut said:

What if someone says 'alright pretty tits'?

That would be inappropriate given it’s sexual nature.

whats your point?

I think the best thing for people going forward is for those that are offended is to speak up there and then or refuse service by that staff member . None of these things will happen because the complainants are genuinely not offended and others  have no bottle to say or challenge anything in real life.

10 minutes ago, makapaka said:

That would be inappropriate given it’s sexual nature.

whats your point?

My point is, it's subjective. What about the 15 year old girl being called 'sugar pants'? I think that's grossly sexualised language being used to a child.

You might not find the OP being called 'sweetheart' and 'petal' by a younger man patronising and cringeworthy, but she did and I do.

2 minutes ago, willman said:

I think the best thing for people going forward is for those that are offended is to speak up there and then or refuse service by that staff member . None of these things will happen because the complainants are genuinely not offended and others  have no bottle to say or challenge anything in real life.

How on earth can you know that? Are you calling the OP a liar?