Sir michael palin

janie48

Watching the BBC Breakfast newspaper review this morning, the woman reviewing the papers hit the nail on the head for me when she also complained about sports men & women, especially those individuals who are singled out for awards but are part of a team or highly paid entertainers being awarded for doing what they are well paid to do & enjoy. 

As she played out, Katesbridge Middleton's stylist was awarded an honour; (and only a woman could get away with a comment like this, in the current climate), "For what? Shortening her hemline?" 

14 hours ago, BrexitGuy said:

There does seem to be a lot of bitterness about his knighthood. Strange really, as he has provided millions of people with millions of hours of entertainment over the years. And in the very same year some idiot who rides a pushbike gets sports personality of the year. 

The world really has gone mad. 

What would you have preferred for Sports Personality?  Some idiot who kicks a ball around?

Back on topic, my first reaction to the story was "I thought he already had a knighthood"! 😄

8 minutes ago, Becky B said:

What would you have preferred for Sports Personality?  Some idiot who kicks a ball around?

Back on topic, my first reaction to the story was "I thought he already had a knighthood"! 😄

Or some idiot that peddles a bike around? Same thing really. It's like marmite. I'm not a footie fan either. I can't argue that he was voted to win, because he was. I'm just not a fan. X

Michael Palin is a genuine, good man.  He has generously supported charitable causes for years that most people don't get to hear about.  I think he is the most grounded and humble member of the python team.  He is a true gentleman. 

This is one honour that I think is deserved and I think Sheffield should be proud of him. 

However, the question I think we should perhaps be asking, is:  'Is the now tarnished title deserving of Mr Palin?' 

Let's hope this is the start of many more deserving appointments. 

On 12/31/2018 at 1:52 PM, BrexitGuy said:

Or some idiot that peddles a bike around? Same thing really. It's like marmite. I'm not a footie fan either. I can't argue that he was voted to win, because he was. I'm just not a fan. X

What?  Repeating what you said first doesn't make any sense - I asked if you didn't like the result because of his sport, and if you had a better idea? So who do you think was deserving of Sport Personality of the Year?  Or are they all idiots because they pedal a bike/kick a ball/hit a ball/throw something/run fast/swim fast?

He's riding it, not selling it