Northern Rail strikes

Just now, geared said:

Please take the time to read the original post, because it was very specifically about the drivers and no-one else.

That may be so  but the strikers who are making the Tories supporters see red, are NOT all train drivers and the strikes are NOT only about pay.

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

and the strikes are NOT only about pay.

Which you would have seen I have already pointed out several weeks ago, if you'd bothered to read the thread properly :

On 05/08/2022 at 08:57, geared said:

And more importantly, it's about much more than just pay.

Edited by geared

7 minutes ago, geared said:

Which you would have seen I have already pointed out several weeks ago, if you'd bothered to read the thread properly :

Which makes your post  Quote "Find me a train driver on £9 an hour". not make a lot of sense then if you already knew that.

18 minutes ago, geared said:

It makes perfect sense if you bother to read the thread properly.

No accounting for what different people see as sense

6 hours ago, Slinny said:

Now the government are trying to bring in agencies to staff the railways , another way to privately run things ,  the ordinary man will end up with no say at all ,,  watch out. N h s, 

The truth is that many staff working 'on' the railway have been working for some sort of agency or sub-contractor for many years. Two examples

Lots of members of Network Rail's orange trackside army work for sub-contractors and they often further sub-contract parts of their contracts, sometimes to self-employed former Network Rail employees. They may prefer to  pick and choose the contracts on which they work. 

Northern have sub-contracted station maintenance. Previously it was to Carillion until they went bust and  staff had to be hastily TUPE'd to a new contractor - from whom many had been TUPE'd not very long before! 

Edited by 1978

Where was the outrage when company bosses, CEOs and the like  were voting themselves huge salary increases beyond the dreams of avarice?

So we now have these 'workers' on £millions, begrudging the real workers, who actually keep  their companies running, small rises that don't  even keep up with the cost of living or inflation. It wouldn't be so bad if the CEOs  were worth even a fraction of their salary, but when they screw up (which they do - often) they are never sacked, just moved sideways into another cushy, boardroom job, or booted upstairs into another well paid position where they can do less harm. A few of them ought to be in jail, never mind given another premier position.

I don't think people are going to put up with this imbalance much longer, hence the growing number of strikes and rumblings of worse to come.

Edited by Anna B

52 minutes ago, 1978 said:

The truth is that many staff working 'on' the railway have been working for some sort of agency or sub-contractor for many years. Two examples

Lots of members of Network Rail's orange trackside army work for sub-contractors and they often further sub-contract parts of their contracts, sometimes to self-employed former Network Rail employees. They may prefer to  pick and choose the contracts on which they work. 

Northern have sub-contracted station maintenance. Previously it was to Carillion until they went bust and  staff had to be hastily TUPE'd to a new contractor - from whom many had been TUPE'd not very long before! 

I think the union members. would prefer a national run railway , not all this subcontracting the work out, but we have what we have, and it will take a change off government to do this.Blair should. have done more to reverse this , but he neglected to do so.   I for one  was  subcontract  labour only most off my. working life  in building trade. But only for the builder not. no middle man ,  only a ordinary. man. .who in my way off thinking  we did not need. Private company’s taking over this country ,  

• Like 1

On 19/08/2022 at 17:36, Slinny said:

I think the union members. would prefer a national run railway , not all this subcontracting the work out, but we have what we have, and it will take a change off government to do this.Blair should. have done more to reverse this , but he neglected to do so.   I for one  was  subcontract  labour only most off my. working life  in building trade. But only for the builder not. no middle man ,  only a ordinary. man. .who in my way off thinking  we did not need. Private company’s taking over this country ,  

If you are well off or a share holders. Then I can see why you vote for this lot . But why the ordinary people. Working class and so forth, I really think you slipped up badly, strikes  cost off living,, , working man’s pleasure the pubs shutting in their thousands ,  such as Reece mog want it back like the 30s  , so practice doffing your cap ,and calling the boss sir, because that is where we are heading ,  please don’t let that happen ,    If you are 20. 30  40 or 50  you may not  even know what I am talking about ,  

3 minutes ago, Slinny said:

If you are well off or a share holders. Then I can see why you vote for this lot . But why the ordinary people. Working class and so forth, I really think you slipped up badly, strikes  cost off living,, , working man’s pleasure the pubs shutting in their thousands ,  such as Reece mog want it back like the 30s  , so practice doffing your cap ,and calling the boss sir, because that is where we are heading ,  please don’t let that happen ,    If you are 20. 30  40 or 50  you may not  even know what I am talking about ,  

Good post.

We oldies that grew up in the 50's grew up in the most egalitarian of times, with opportunities for all. Those times have disappeared. It breaks my heart to see how far backwards we have gone thanks to Tory machinations. Remember, they'll lie, cheat and steal to remain in power, that's all they care about. They are not on the side of the people.