Nye fireworks.

^^^^^^  What they said.

Yeah sure they could try and set one up but then there would be endless threads filled with people banging on about "how much did that cost" and "how many roads could be fixed for that money" or "how many social workers and carers would that pay for" etc... etc...

After said event, there would also be the inevitable threads filled with people saying "too many people"  "too crowded" "bad traffic" "totally inconvenient street closures" "too expensive food and drink" "not good value for money"   etc.... etc....

Thirdly and most importantly, its there enough demand anyway.   There were already numerous events happening to celebrate the new year in bars, clubs, hotels and venues around the city.    Many of them totally undersubscribed and often (as I have seen from my own experience) a big number of people leaving to go home early. 

Given the past results of free city events such as Fright Night, Xmas Lights swich on and the summer festivals only managing to scrape up a modest attendance at best, is there really much point.

London is the capital city - of course they will put on an event.  It has a population of over 8 million and worldwide TV coverage.    Its rediculous to even put them in as a comparitor.  

The Greater Manchester area has a population more than double that of South Yorkshire and an obvious bigger draw. 

You will notice that even our sworn arch enemy Leeds didn't attempt any sort of free public display.   You really think Sheffield would get the numbers?

Edited by ECCOnoob

15 hours ago, Del Usory said:

What happened to "big display in Sheffield", Cllr Dore and Lord Mayor Magid?

It didn't happen, last big displays I have seen here was tinsley towers and ski village and 2007 flood.

Edited by dutch

58 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

The London display was reportedly the most expensive and lavish display in Europe. ..... Austerity never was a concern for them.  Whilst adults are having to eat baby food to survive I'm so glad they had the most expensive display ever. 

Whenever I see or read some dramatic novel set in London no matter what year its set in they start to excavate the landscapes of the lavish in a world of poverty.

On 1/3/2019 at 5:16 PM, Del Usory said:

Big public display in London

Big display in Manchester.

What happened to "big display in Sheffield", Cllr Dore and Lord Mayor Magid?

Sheffield isn't 'big' like Manchester or London, so why would you expect big firework displays??