Nice - price motorists off the roads

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

There's an increase yes, that can't be disputed.  The largest increase was between the late 70's and 1990 though.

Schools closing, yes, probably a factor.

More people simply choosing to drive, probably a factor, don't you agree?

Some simply choose to I'm sure. The whole squabble started from your post saying you used to walk the few hundred metres so others should do the same.

The ensuing 200 posts have been trying to explain to you as a non-parent , from those with some, that it isn't as straightforward as that.

Let's just leave it and say that you're completely correct and our direct experience is wrong and / or laziness, then you can rest happy.

Quite a lot of the discussion was about the paranoia of parents who don't think a 7+ year old could walk to school with loads of other children and parents around even if it were only 100 metres away.

On 20/01/2019 at 12:57, woodview said:

I used to see a fat mum drive 100 yards with her child then have to do a 400 yard route back. That is ott.

You have to base it on sensible notions, based on lots of circumstances. Can't assume everyone is a mum in a range rover.

You even agreed with me about that distance being too short to drive.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Quite a lot of the discussion was about the paranoia of parents who don't think a 7+ year old could walk to school with loads of other children and parents around even if it were only 100 metres away.

You even agreed with me about that distance being too short to drive.

I know you're right on the whole thing. No need for any kids to have lifts, they can all walk like you did in your village.

This has made me laugh. To summarise, Cyclone's own stats undermine his own argument with people who have direct experience, but he still insists he is right. It doesn't matter if the subject is Brexit or who does the school run, Cyclone knows best!

We'll send the nippers up to school on their own in the morning then. If the teachers report us to social services, we'll simply refer them to Cyclone.

'walking buses' aren't a new idea, nothing to be so reactive about.

i cannot criticise any parent who feels that driving is the only safe way to get their child to school. We need to remodel streets around schools so that walking and cycling are prioritised, and safe. And yes, so that driving is sometimes limited, or even filtered altogether.

Edited by ads36

46 minutes ago, stifflersmom said:

A village that had 4 or 5 schools. That statement alone undermines a lot of the subsequent debate.

Does it?

It still has 5 primary schools.  You can take a look at their websites if you like, or on google maps.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/primary+school/@53.3594372,-1.2259243,14.25z

The closest two aren't even a mile apart, so it's impossible in Anston to live a mile from a primary school.

12 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

This has made me laugh. To summarise, Cyclone's own stats undermine his own argument with people who have direct experience, but he still insists he is right. It doesn't matter if the subject is Brexit or who does the school run, Cyclone knows best!

We'll send the nippers up to school on their own in the morning then. If the teachers report us to social services, we'll simply refer them to Cyclone.

The statistics proved my specific point to be correct, more than 50% of families had two working parents 30 years ago.

I'm happy to acknowledge that this percentage has continued to increase though, but that doesn't explain the huge increase in congestion in that time frame.

A shift amongst parents in attitude, favouring driving and being more paranoid about safety does help to explain it though.

26 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Does it?

It still has 5 primary schools.  You can take a look at their websites if you like, or on google maps.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/primary+school/@53.3594372,-1.2259243,14.25z

The closest two aren't even a mile apart, so it's impossible in Anston to live a mile from a primary school.

Wow, I stand corrected. Incredible density of schools in such a small area. Sone towns don't gave as many primaries as that. 

Probably why I was mistaken, I thought that was entirely normal.

Looking at Wadsley on google maps though, it appears that there are primary schools quite regularly.

Hillsborough, Marlcliffe, Wisewood, Malin Bridge, all within a mile of the next school.  Walkley and Stannington seem to be nearly as well supplied with schools.  You might just manage to travel a mile in Stannington if you were in the worst possible location.  And Broomhall looks like it has an infestation of schools, they're everywhere!