Sheffield peregrine falcons

Message added by SheffieldForum

Watch the Sheffield Peregrines live feed here: https://peregrine.sites.sheffield.ac.uk

On 03/05/2019 at 14:38, taxman said:

There was a bit of twitter panic overnight where it looked as if the eggs had been left for a bit and the female had gone missing. Thankfully it looks like panic over.

I gather that the eggs were left unbrooded for about 75mins. Hopefully they will hatch.

I've had it on most of the morning and she/he was on the eggs earlier. I was counting from the Notts eggs being laid to the Sheffield ones, maybe I'm being impatient but the time difference seems to be a long one now. The 3 chicks at Notts are growing at their usual speedy rate.

2 hours ago, zach said:

Yeah just noticed that. It looks like the first egg that was possibly laid by the intruder that's she's booted out! Must be having a "peregrine" moment.

This is only my second year at watching these birds, so again I’m no expert.  It seems strange to reject the egg after all of this time.  I was wondering if she couldn’t manage to sit on the 4 eggs? 

I think she has brought the rejected egg back and is sitting on it.  

Think you are right she’s having a peregrine moment.

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

I think she has brought the rejected egg back and is sitting on it.  

Think you are right she’s having a peregrine moment.

I think it’s going to be a miracle if these eggs hatch.  Mrs P has just been chased out of the nest by the intruder who looks bigger than her.

16 minutes ago, melv said:

Looks like the intruder has killed the resident female. There's a picture on the peregrine Twitter site 

Someones said the bird the intruder killed is actually a pigeon.
Obviously this would be good news but if its true where is the female? Looks like the male is there on his own?