What ever happened to the fish?

Jon

Actually, I found ...a goldfish.

Maybe it's some weird tradition. An annual fish fling or something, undertaken by shadowy figures obeying some ancient call to fling fish in other people's gardens in the dead of night...

Spooky.

Laura

• 1 month later...

Think it was around this time that the Council stopped local

fairgrounds from offering goldfish-in-plastic -bags as prizes.

Although what's that's got to with the price of fish escapes me!

• 3 weeks later...

These fish could still be alive, I heard on the radio someone who won a fish at a fair in 1976 and its still going strong.

Lets start a campaign

Where are the Hole in the Road Fish:D :D :D

• 7 months later...

I remember going to a bungalow off Stannington Road near Lomas Hall to buy some fish from a fish breeder. His name was John, I never heard his second name. He was paid to keep the fish fed, replenished and the tanks cleaned in the Hole in the Road. He also ran a business supplying fish tanks etc to Restaurants, offices and business premises.I presume he emptied the tank and retained the fish before the Hole in the Road was closed.

The fish were kept by the local fish enthusiast who used to look after them,a door at the side of the tank used to give access for feeding and cleaning. The Bus enquiry office was on the other side of the tank, none of the fixtures and fittings in the Hole in the Rd was ever removed when it was filled in.

Some archeologist in the future will think he's found ancient Rome if they start digging there, and finds all the ceramic tiles which were on the walls.

anybody else ever find owt strange in there gardens?

Somebody used to leave bottles of home made wine in our hedge. Never did find out who it was, and we daren't drink it either:(

I remember the fish tanks in the hole in the road - and the door at the side. I remember standing there once as a kid looking up and seeing a big hand appearing and dropping food in, scared the you know what out of me.:D

Archived