'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

36 minutes ago, dutch said:

It includes other cities, national research. 

I have always said that moving centre away from the tram is going to slowly kill it.

I take train to Leeds now to start shopping there 

Thanks to Northern Rail and their incessant strikes, L**ds isn't really an option for me at present. On the other hand, there are a number of retail parks not far from me which are more convenient than Sheffield, Rotherham and Barnsley town centers. Not to mention Elsecar Heritage Centre for nice small shops. And when I lived in Dronfield I came to much prefer shopping in Chesterfield. 

For me, these days Cole Brothers is about the only thing worth visiting Sheffield town center for. This is a very bad thing. When you visit a town it's the town center that you judge the place on. 

Fargate should move more towards restaurants and cafes, with the upper floors of those buildings made into apartments.  Pinstone street should be more independent shops, leading naturally to the Moor for the big chain shops.

Voila, town planning sorted. You're welcome.  😉

Edited by feargal
Autocorrect buffoonery

30 minutes ago, feargal said:

Fargate should move more towards satisfied, with the upper floors of those buildings made into apartments.  Pinstone street should be more independent shops, leading naturally to the Moor for the big chain shops.

That's a very unique interesting idea.

British logic isn't going to fix this, this common logic has solved many puzzles but lacks the common sense needed to understand the basics.

One of these basics is that if I walk from train station to fargate there is a presentable route, pretty pleasant to walk on, could go through millennium. That walk says welkom to sheffield

If I walk from station to our new centre its nothing like it, that walk is worse than (sensored). That walk makes you wonder you go right way.

Edited by dutch

1 hour ago, Stoatwobbler said:

Thanks to Northern Rail and their incessant strikes, L**ds isn't really an option for me at present. On the other hand, there are a number of retail parks not far from me which are more convenient than Sheffield, Rotherham and Barnsley town centers. Not to mention Elsecar Heritage Centre for nice small shops. And when I lived in Dronfield I came to much prefer shopping in Chesterfield. 

For me, these days Cole Brothers is about the only thing worth visiting Sheffield town center for. This is a very bad thing. When you visit a town it's the town center that you judge the place on. 

COLE BROTHERS!!!!!    Crikey you don't come into the centre very often.   It's been John Lewis for decades.

33 minutes ago, feargal said:

Fargate should move more towards satisfied, with the upper floors of those buildings made into apartments.  Pinstone street should be more independent shops, leading naturally to the Moor for the big chain shops.

That’s basically the plan. A more compact retail area flowing from fargate through the developments around Pinstone st, John Lewis and then down to the Moor. Should link Devonshire Street more cleanly to the moor area too. Castle area can be given over housing, offices.

The key to connecting it all for everyone is a regular free hop-on hop-off bus around the city centre. Like the Eager Beavers or bendi bus we used to have

Edited by I1L2T3

A lot is being spent moving it all and it only benefits people from southern part of the city. Making it significant worse for others to connect with moor than it was to go to fargate.

I use M&S but if they move to moor will stop using them in city centre.

14 hours ago, dutch said:

If places stay empty we could use them to give the homeless somewhere to stay.

I'm sure the owners will be entirely thrilled with that idea.

Empty doesn't mean that they are abandoned.

1 hour ago, Stoatwobbler said:

It's pretty bad if you try to visit a department store that hasn't existed for 20+ years!

51 minutes ago, dutch said:

That's a very unique interesting idea.

British logic isn't going to fix this, this common logic has solved many puzzles but lacks the common sense needed to understand the basics.

One of these basics is that if I walk from train station to fargate there is a presentable route, pretty pleasant to walk on, could go through millennium. That walk says welkom to sheffield

If I walk from station to our new centre its nothing like it, that walk is worse than (sensored). That walk makes you wonder you go right way.

What have you decided is the "new centre"?

Guest makapaka

Some people call it Cole brothers in sheffield.

its not because they dont know it’s John Lewis its because it took over what was a

flagship Sheffield store.

there are other examples around the country where locals haven’t adopted the John Lewis name readily.

get over yourselves.