'Everything’s leaving': Sheffield's town centre gutted by vacancies

4 hours ago, fill said:

which electronics store has gone from fargate? .. if you have to ask that you are probably too yong to have an opinion.

countless eateries.. that rather depends upon the time frame you are using.   there are places in which you could sit down at a table and have your food brought to you which are no longer on fargate .... more recently burger king also pulled out of fargate...  burger king were then and still are a very large junk food chain.  The eating area in mcdonalds on the moor was larger than the current shop.

what was and now is sheffield centre.   haymarket almost gone, not that much on the high street. commercial street was never upto much.  3 banks ..all gone. fitzallen square ..whats there now?

Sheffield center is basically from the almost bottom of the moor and decathalon to the high street end of fargate... mcdonalds and boots. you can count division street in there too but not really west street anymore, book shop art shop killis and a couple of pubs is all  and of course the job center.

Very few independents in sheffield these days the presence of which I regard as a better indication as to the health of a city's economy than the inclusion of various chain stores.   look at leeds or manchester and you can see that in comparison sheffield center is the poor relation and dying slowly.  High charges for parking and not much of it near the center means people go elsewhere and then so do the big retailers.  The independents are always being squeezed out ... revelopment is one cause, removing older and lower affordable rent properties for businesses that were enjoyed but had low turnovers .

my personal view is no secret i am convinced that it is deliberate that the independents are being forced out.. places that repaired damaged things.. forced out..  to make way for the chains which once they have forced out all the independents will in their turn be forced out by the big chains until there little or nothing left but the huge chains and mail order.   Will giant hypermarkets continue or will even they go under to grocery deliveries?

with the best will in the world... i see the future will brown as we rush headlong into corporation earth

I'm intrigued as to what electronics retailer you mean.

5 hours ago, fill said:

countless eateries.. that rather depends upon the time frame you are using.   there are places in which you could sit down at a table and have your food brought to you which are no longer on fargate .... more recently burger king also pulled out of fargate...  burger king were then and still are a very large junk food chain.  The eating area in mcdonalds on the moor was larger than the current shop.

The MCDonalds on the Moor closed because of typical Sheffield City Council thinking. 

McDonalds was told the store needed to be renovated to comply with something to do with the HVAC emissions as one of the major issues (the grill/fryer extractor system) but then denied planning permission for the changes necessary, insisting on a different approach which would cost almost 20x as much (running into millions of pounds) & that McDonalds had to fund it. McDonalds decided to end their tenancy instead. 

41 minutes ago, northernboy said:

I can only imagine the electronics store referred to is Dixons which shut years (decades) ago, unless they mean Maplins which was never on Fargate to my knowledge.

I'm >40 and I don't remember a Dixons being on Fargate, so that must be going back some.

I was kind of hoping that they'd say Maplins though.

25 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I'm >40 and I don't remember a Dixons being on Fargate, so that must be going back some.

I was kind of hoping that they'd say Maplins though.

It was at the top, unit to the right of the entrance to orchard Square. No idea what's in there now

13 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I'm intrigued as to what electronics retailer you mean.

Dixons probably.

2 hours ago, slh73 said:

It was at the top, unit to the right of the entrance to orchard Square. No idea what's in there now

It's a River Island now.

2 hours ago, neworderishere said:

why the council ever got rid of the fountain and flowers i dont know and also the orchard square podium??

It was always broke and full of litter.  I can't remember the last time I saw it fully lit and operating.

Then didn't people start going into it to take the money?