Dickensian diseases on the rise

3 minutes ago, woodview said:

I struggle to see how malnutrition AND gout, have the same cause.

both are caused by poor diet

clearly malnutrition is a result of not knowing or not being able to buy and prepare nutricious food, which clearly points at poverty and a lack of education.

gout is caused by eating too much of the wrong sort of food which again speaks to a lack of education.  possibly poverty too, in that people buy lots of cheap animal protein which provides little else in terms of nutrition rather than being able to affored a more balanced diet

3 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

both are caused by poor diet

clearly malnutrition is a result of not knowing or not being able to buy and prepare nutricious food, which clearly points at poverty and a lack of education.

gout is caused by eating too much of the wrong sort of food which again speaks to a lack of education.  possibly poverty too, in that people buy lots of cheap animal protein which provides little else in terms of nutrition rather than being able to affored a more balanced diet

Aka eating too much meat and beer.

How is it linked to Thatcher and mogg?

The OP twists unlinked topics.

When we had kids during this period, you'd have to try very hard to avoid the vaccines.

20 minutes ago, woodview said:

When we had kids during this period, you'd have to try very hard to avoid the vaccines.

avoiding vaccines is easier these days and this is why these diseases are starting to spike. 

the question is why people want to avoid them? 

perhaps also, people have forgotten the consequences of some of these infections diseases. at the start of the public immunisation programs two or three generations of parents will have suffered or seen their siblings and friends suffer from these diseases. they will not have wanted their offspring to suffer and will have embraced anything to prevent that. 

the relationship between people and the state started to change under thatcher, the effect of cameron and osbourne changed it more dramatically. 

Thatcher would have lived through these times and I doubt she would have countenanced undermining the public health system to the extent it has been. The public school boys will never have thought about it when they embalked on "austerity". Thatcher may not be responsible for this but she enabled her successors to do it.

Edited by andyofborg

12 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

Thatcher would have lived through these times and I doubt she would have countenanced undermining the public health system to the extent it has been. The public school boys will never have thought about it when they embalked on "austerity". Thatcher may not be responsible for this but she enabled her successors to do it.

So austerity is to blame for people not taking up vaccinations, that midvivesand nurses explain over and over?

And for people scoffing too much meat and beer?

I get it now, thanks.

14 hours ago, medusa said:

Actually, the biggest risk factor for gout is genetic risk.  It doesn't help by overeating, but that in itself doesn't make someone concentrate uric acid in their blood, just like both of the people I know who have kidney stones are young, slim and vegetarian, yet kidney stones are also linked to overeating and drinking.

I agree entirely though- if you've ever actually seen a baby with whooping cough, or a child with brain damage from measles, you have no doubt that vaccinating is the way to prevent the horrors from them.

Some medication can cause gout. I know someone this happened to (not me). GP changed their medication which caused gout, changed it again and it never came back. 

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I’ve a vague recollection of an article pointing to the rise in hitherto beaten diseases is down to immigrants coming in with no vaccinations and/or no cultural pushto get them.

Again, if memory serves it was written when TB numbers were spiking. I’ll have a google.

I had  TB in 2015 and was told this,  I still have no idea how I caught it, I'd had the BCG jab at school along with everyone else.

21 hours ago, andyofborg said:

avoiding vaccines is easier these days and this is why these diseases are starting to spike. 

the question is why people want to avoid them? 

Because someone they once met in the street had a friend who knew a friend whose cousin once met someone whos relative had a baby that had a vaccine and when it farted it smelled

Simples :)

21 hours ago, woodview said:

As medusa pointed out gout is fundamentally a metabolic disease. Diet can be a trigger for attacks but the underlying cause is basically genetic. If you have it then too much of the wrong food and drinks can be a factor, sometimes.

18 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Some medication can cause gout. I know someone this happened to (not me). GP changed their medication which caused gout, changed it again and it never came back. 

I know a bloke who is vegan and can do a 5k run in 17 minutes.

He is regularly laid low with gout. As are all of his brothers. 

Genetics