Shamima Begum

Message added by nikki-red

We have reopened this thread.

The second it goes off topic or resorts to insults suspensions will be issued and it will be locked again.

Also. while we understand this is an emotive subject we will not tolerate any comments wishing harm on people.

Last chance.

20 minutes ago, despritdan said:

Nobody in their right mind would want this poisonous, brainwashed moron back in the 

Focussing on this case misses the bigger picture which is the result of decades of immigration policies which have tried to mix oil and water in the form of British and Islamic values and has failed spectacularly. 

I'm not sure that she is the only one who is brainwashed! lol 😂

45 minutes ago, Halibut said:

All that differs is the motivation.

The people who sent our bomber crews over to Hamburg knew exactly what the result of their actions would be.

Hardly.  Civilians were not the intended targets of the Hamburg bombings. Also. It's well documented that Hamburg had gone through a long dry spell prior to the bombings causing freak fires to rapidly spread throughout large areas surrounding the intended targets. 

I suppose the dry weather and freak fires were just an unexpected bonus, a bit like the twin towers collapsing? Well, I reckon you'll be hard pushed to find any archive film footage of Brits dancing in the streets as the fires burned, seeing the devastation as a monumental victory.  

Edited by danot

4 minutes ago, danot said:

Hardly.  Civilians were not the intended targets of the Hamburg bombings. Also. It's well documented that Hamburg had gone through a long dry spell prior to the bombings causing freak fires to rapidly spread throughout large areas surrounding the intended targets. 

I suppose the dry weather and freak fires were just an unexpected bonus, a bit like the twin towers collapsing? Well, I reckon you'll be hard pushed to find any archive film footage of Brits dancing in the streets as the fires burned, seeing the devastation as a monumental victory.  

Civilians were the target in most raids over Germany - certainly Dresden . I’m sure I’ve read bomber Harris stating as such - I’ll look for a link if you want. But that’s how it was then, we’ve evolved and try and avoid civilian targets. 

18 minutes ago, danot said:

I suppose the dry weather and freak fires were just an unexpected bonus, a bit like the twin towers collapsing. Although, I reckon you'll be hard pushed to find any archive film footage of Brits dancing in the streets as the fires burned, seeing the devastation as a monumental victory.  

You're flat out wrong there, both in Hamburg and in other German cities. Churchill himself spoke of the need to have '''absolutely devastating exterminating attack by very heavy bombers from this country upon the Nazi homeland.'' and Bomber Command were instructed to focus on

destroying the ''morale of the enemy civil population''. There is ample evidence that civilian populations were targeted.

From 'Bomber' Harris ''the aim of the Combined Bomber Offensive...should be unambiguously stated [as] the destruction of German cities, the killing of German workers, and the disruption of civilized life throughout Germany.''

Edited by Halibut

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Civilians were the target in most raids over Germany - certainly Dresden . I’m sure I’ve read bomber Harris stating as such 

The strategy behind the Luftwaffe bombing of London and the RAF bombing of Dresden was to cause civilian casualties in order to break civilian resolve and increase pressure on the two respective governments.

20 minutes ago, Halibut said:

You're flat out wrong there, both in Hamburg and in other German cities. Churchill himself spoke of the need to have '''absolutely devastating exterminating attack by very heavy bombers from this country upon the Nazi homeland.'' and Bomber Command were instructed to focus on

destroying the ''morale of the enemy civil population''. There is ample evidence that civilian populations were targeted.

From 'Bomber' Harris ''the aim of the Combined Bomber Offensive...should be unambiguously stated [as] the destruction of German cities, the killing of German workers, and the disruption of civilized life throughout Germany.''

14 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The strategy behind the Luftwaffe bombing of London and the RAF bombing of Dresden was to cause civilian casualties in order to break civilian resolve and increase pressure on the two respective governments.

What does all that have to do with the thread topic? 

3 minutes ago, janie48 said:

What does all that have to do with the thread topic? 

Because despite the fact that Ms Begum hasn't (to the best of our knowledge) killed anyone, people are suggesting that because she was part of a group who engaged in a fair bit of killing, she somehow forfeits all her rights and society absolves itself of our obligation to her. I was pointing out the apparent hypocrisy that we accept some killers (e.g. our own armed forces) with open arms and decide that others are the devil incarnate.

14 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Because despite the fact that Ms Begum hasn't (to the best of our knowledge) killed anyone, people are suggesting that because she was part of a group who engaged in a fair bit of killing, she somehow forfeits all her rights and society absolves itself of our obligation to her. I was pointing out the apparent hypocrisy that we accept some killers (e.g. our own armed forces) with open arms and decide that others are the devil incarnate.

Fair enough, that explains the reason.