Shamima Begum

Message added by nikki-red

We have reopened this thread.

The second it goes off topic or resorts to insults suspensions will be issued and it will be locked again.

Also. while we understand this is an emotive subject we will not tolerate any comments wishing harm on people.

Last chance.

3 hours ago, danot said:

Three kids, all dead within five years. 

Sajid Javid has simply put the welfare of this nation first. Personally,  I'd expect nothing less, he has a duty to protect the British public and the interests of this nation . 

But, I accept that the baby's death most probably was preventable.  If only the heavily pregnant Begum hadn't been so wrapped-up in her own welfare and dire situation when she was interviewed. if only she had expressed a flicker of remorse, or felt the slightest bit of sympathy for the countless victims slaughtered by Isis (Manchester bombing comparison she made)  rather than telling the UK that she's the one being victimised,  that she's the one who deserves our sympathy. If only her unborn baby had been her number one priority, if only she'd offered to give it up when  Sajid Javid presented the opportunity instead of gambling with its life in order to blackmail Sajid Javid and secure her return to Britain, he might have had something to answer for.  

So it's all become about Sajid Javid, and how he's the hero of the hour. I'm sure the he had no thought of his own prime ministerial ambitions when making the decision.

I just wonder what the reaction would be of people if Britain had a terrorist on our soil that we couldn't deport because their home country didn't want them; or there were human rights violations in their home country?

2 hours ago, hobinfoot said:

This is true. The foreign office said that they would not send any officials into danger in the camps where IS had a presence. It is a shame about the baby but at the end of the day no one made Shamema go the fault entirely lays with her and the situation she finds herself in now.

This is the heart of it that is getting lost. She wasn't knocking on the door. She required someone to come get her in a war zone in a country with no British diplomatic presence. If she had made her way to an embassy or even to a country with active diplomatic relations, it might be a different story. 

Britain was not holding the door shut, it just wasn't going to risk lives to go rescue her. Let us imagine that the government sent a rescue team, and that team was attacked with fatalities resulting. I would like to see Diane Abbott try to explain to the relatives of dead service members why their lives were not worth as much as someone who swore to fight against Britain and all we stand for.  

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

So it's all become about Sajid Javid, and how he's the hero of the hour. I'm sure the he had no thought of his own prime ministerial ambitions when making the decision.

I just wonder what the reaction would be of people if Britain had a terrorist on our soil that we couldn't deport because their home country didn't want them; or there were human rights violations in their home country?

It's only become about Javid because the opposition has made it so through political point scoring. As far as I'm concerned the home secretary has done what he's paid to do

Edited by Delayed
Spelling

20 minutes ago, Delayed said:

It's only become about Javid because the opposition has made it so through political point scoring. As far as I'm concerned the home secretary has done what he's paid to do

No - it became about because Javid had his eye on the job of the PM, and calculated that his best chance was to play to the gallery. If the boot had been on the other foot and there was a terrorist on our soil that we couldn't deport - do you think Javid wouldn't have made political capital out of it?

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

No - it became about because Javid had his eye on the job of the PM, and calculated that his best chance was to play to the gallery. If the boot had been on the other foot and there was a terrorist on our soil that we couldn't deport - do you think Javid wouldn't have made political capital out of it?

There are terrorists which we can't deport that remain in the UK.

36 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Probably none herself but she joined IS knowing full well what they were doing and that makes her guilty.

What about the wives of murders in our jails today in the UK, are they responsible for their husbands crimes too?

9 minutes ago, El Cid said:

What about the wives of murders in our jails today in the UK, are they responsible for their husbands crimes too?

How can you equate the two?

Begum willingly left the UK to join ISIS as a bride of one of their fighters.

She may not physically have killed anyone, but she clearly agrees with what ISIS did. She openly stated the Manchester bombings were justified.

And who knows what she has done or agreed with whilst being this bride in a war zone.

Edited by Guest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b6m9k6

850 people have travelled from the UK to support or fight for terror groups in Syria and Iraq. 425 have returned. The majority have not been prosecuted. 

So why are so many on here shouting about Shamima Begum who left as a 15 yr old teenager and as far as we know has not killed anyone.  She made a big mistake in going there  but I would like to think if it was my daughter some compassion would be shown.

32 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I doubt many of the wives of the men in jail in the U.K. For murder knew about their crimes. The women who married IS fighters knew what their husbands were doing. Shamima said she had witnessed be headings and the  heads in bins and wasn't fazed by it. This makes her and others like her different from the women and families of men who are in jail in the U.K.

Edited by hobinfoot