Ron Springett or Gordon Banks

desy

11 hours ago, Billam said:

I would always say Ron Springett, he never let England down but he was blamed when he let in 5 when they played France even though they complained about the floodlights before the game.

Yes after that 5-2 debacle in Paris, Ramsey-his first game as manager- had the hump on with a few players who never wore an England shirt again : Ron Henry, Brian Labone, Bobby Tambling and John Connelly ( although he did play once more) among them. Ronnie played only a few times after but was a squad player till 1966..

Edited by St Petre
add

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Yes after that 5-2 debacle in Paris, Ramsey-his first game as manager- had the hump on with a few players who never wore an England shirt again : Ron Henry, Brian Labone, Bobby Tambling and John Connelly ( although he did play once more) among them. Ronnie played only a few times after but was a squad player till 1966..

Pretty sure Labone was first choice centre half for Ramsey in 1970 at the finals in Mexico.

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Pretty sure Labone was first choice centre half for Ramsey in 1970 at the finals in Mexico.

Yes you're right there Longcol.  As for the WC in Mexico 1970 , I read that Everton goalie Gordon West (a Barnsley lad) was selected for the England squad but his wife refused to let him go. On a side note, I was wondering how many goalies born in south Yorkshire (or west Riding) have played for England, since the war. for me: Gordon Banks, Alan Hodgkinson, David Seaman and Gordon West.