Fisherman's Rest, Attercliffe

25 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

-same side of streetIt looks very different,

look at them side by side:

old

new

Perhaps I mis-interpret but the pictures are of two different buildings on Tinsley Park Road. The bottom one (new) is the offices for Veolia and was premises for a chemical company that used to occupy that site, the top (old) is the now demolished Fisherman's Rest and was about 75 yards away (same side of street) going towards Broughton Lane from the still standing Veolia office.

Edited by St Petre
Add

56 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Perhaps I mis-interpret but the pictures are of two different buildings on Tinsley Park Road. The bottom one (new) is the offices for Veolia and was premises for a chemical company that used to occupy that site, the top (old) is the now demolished Fisherman's Rest and was about 75 yards away (same side of street) going towards Broughton Lane from the still standing Veolia office.

Yes, that's what I thought. Perhaps CF8M made a mistake. They're certainly similarly shaped buildings, but definitely not the same.

6 hours ago, CF8M said:

That's the one.

It seem odd that most of the buildings on that part of the road from the sixties have gone, but not that one!

Looking at the maps, I think the consensus is it was here, maybe this sticking out bit was part of the old building?

44 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Yes, that's what I thought. Perhaps CF8M made a mistake. They're certainly similarly shaped buildings, but definitely not the same.

Looking at the maps, I think the consensus is it was here, maybe this sticking out bit was part of the old building?

The Fisherman's was just to the left of the stick out wall bit, about where the new brick work is but didn't extend as far as the Veolia gate. If you rotate the picture and see the green grass area that's where the Friendship was and the Fisherman's was opposite where the end of the green patch is nearer to the camera (Greenland Road end). Got me thinking now as to what that old stick out brick work might have been.

6 minutes ago, St Petre said:

The Fisherman's was just to the left of the stick out wall bit, about where the new brick work is but didn't extend as far as the Veolia gate. If you rotate the picture and see the green grass area that's where the Friendship was and the Fisherman's was opposite where the end of the green patch is nearer to the camera (Greenland Road end). Got me thinking now as to what that old stick out brick work might have been.

yep, got ya.

also St Petre, if you try the instructions in the earlier post, you can see the friendship as it was still standing when google cars went past, in the early days.

(I didn't know it had been demolished)

6 minutes ago, St Petre said:

😀 Same

I like these threads. I love Sheffield History.

Edited by *_ash_*

11 minutes ago, St Petre said:

I thought the old maps might help, but in 1899 it is a blank space!
see here

The kerbs face inwards, so perhaps it was just an earlier Veolia (old SCC) entrance? And they widened and moved it with time, and machines got bigger?

Edited by *_ash_*

2 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

yep, got ya.

also St Petre, if you try the instructions in the earlier post, you can see the friendship as it was still standing when google cars went past, in the early days.

(I didn't know it had been demolished)

Funnily enough I didn't live in that area but had an aunt and uncle that lived at that end of March Street  so on visits (1958-63) I would walk past both pubs. Also it's a wonder that the answers haven't included members of SF who lived in that immediate area, a few who have replied to questions before.

1 minute ago, St Petre said:

Funnily enough I didn't live in that area but had an aunt and uncle that lived at that end of March Street  so on visits (1958-63) I would walk past both pubs. Also it's a wonder that the answers haven't included members of SF who lived in that immediate area, a few who have replied to questions before.

I think perhaps it's narrowed down a bit, because so much housing around there has been gone for years, so not many with knowledge. (and even those few have to see the thread too!)

I was always a camera geek in the 80s, and took a lot around Attercliffe, I hope to find some to redo now to compare. I've done films in Sheffield too, but oldest still aren't old yet! Still, I'm glad I did them, lots of the new ring road area I captured on crap early digital camera! 🤣

6 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I think perhaps it's narrowed down a bit, because so much housing around there has been gone for years, so not many with knowledge. (and even those few have to see the thread too!)

I was always a camera geek in the 80s, and took a lot around Attercliffe, I hope to find some to redo now to compare. I've done films in Sheffield too, but oldest still aren't old yet! Still, I'm glad I did them, lots of the new ring road area I captured on crap early digital camera! 🤣

As for old maps of Sheffield, Sheffield History as the best ones , they even have house numbers on them. The one for that area is map 178 and you can enlarge it to your requirements. On this map from the early 1950's, the Fisherman's is defined by name - the Friendship just has BH (Beer house). Sorry but I don't have the technical ability to replicate it on here.