Supertram Rail Replacement 2019

52 minutes ago, Tickling said:

Given that the buses and the trams use the same approach roads as all other traffic, I fail to see what real benefit that bus/tram gate there is providing for the buses and trams. Is it really worth sending all the car traffic along Tapplin Road, Ripley Street and the bottom of Walkley Lane?

I think the intention is that they use Penistone Rd, a lot do, but some just work around it as you've said.

19 minutes ago, Tickling said:

Yes I see it with my own eyes often, they can see the junction isn't clear but they move forward anyway, blocking it all up.

What I often see is that buses try to pull out of the terminus, but drivers paying no attention pull forwards too far and block the bus.  This then causes a big problem.

I'm sure buses do sometimes pull forwards over junctions though when they can't clear it...  Drivers do exactly the same.

I quite often have to weave around cars that can't clear this bit

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.402723,-1.5014688,3a,60y,112.69h,88.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-5hQEX1850nQ5rjvR97qbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

As I go across in a morning or back in an evening.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Fair enough, I only ever travel the other way, Langsett Rd to Infirmary, and back, on my bike (so I'm allowed).

And the wait is always ages that way as well.

Perhaps the lights and triggers could be adjusted to work better.

Yes that would be an obvious improvement you would have thought.

Another separate issue but even more infuriating is the lights at the junction of Herries Road and Penistone Road.When vehicles queue-sometimes back as far as Hillsborough Park-to turn right there can be up to 20 waiting whilst nothing is coming along Penistone Road towards town.I emailed Highways last summer asking why the lights at the end of Leppings Lane could not be synced to those at Herries Road thus when nothing is coming towards town the right filter onto Herries Road can be on green leaving less of a tailback.I received a response some weeks later asking if I had noticed the trial run they had brought in since my email.I asked what this trial was and their response was that they had tried syncing the lights-after 7pm....when there is way less traffic and when I am not in the vicinity .If they can trial at less busy times why not in day time hours? I am still awaiting their response to that.....Clearly Highways don't wish to improve traffic flow.

22 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

What I often see is that buses try to pull out of the terminus, but drivers paying no attention pull forwards too far and block the bus.  This then causes a big problem.

I'm sure buses do sometimes pull forwards over junctions though when they can't clear it...  Drivers do exactly the same.

I quite often have to weave around cars that can't clear this bit

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.402723,-1.5014688,3a,60y,112.69h,88.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-5hQEX1850nQ5rjvR97qbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

As I go across in a morning or back in an evening.

Many a time I've been at the Bradfield Road junction heading towards Home Lane while the light is green but going nowhere  because a langsett-bound bus is blocking the junction.

The bus station is poorly designed/located with the exit so close to the traffic lights but not much can be done about the location and I do have some sympathy with the bus drivers there and certainly the lights at Langsett Rd /Ripley Street could benefit from both the left filter as above and not automatically having all lights at red when there are no pedestrians wishing to cross the road.

The Bradfield Road junction would benefit from being a yellow box junction were such a regulation to be enforced

• 2 weeks later...

It just seems to be taking so very long.  I live at the very top of Stannington and it was bad enough when they took the link buses off us.  I try and be a considerate citizen and not drive my car into town and used to love being able to nip into town via the 81 bus and tram.  Sure it took a lot longer than using my car but I put up with that.

However, it has made rail journeys getting to and from Sheffield Railway station a living hell.

I returned to Sheffield (via train)  in the early afternoon on Thursday and it took me AN HOUR AND A HALF to get home AND the Shalesmoor link buses (all arriving as they should) meant that my bus the 81 was stuck behind them and I had to run to ensure I got on it as it was blocked by two of the replacements buses.  Not funny as I am waiting for a knee replacement.

When I tried today to find an easier route from the station the wretched journey planner suggested I walk from the Station to Angel Street - Okay, knee replacement or not I could manage that ordinarily but with luggage - are you flipping serious???

And if you try and search for "when will all the tram rail replacements in Sheffield be completed" you do not get a straight answer from any site.

I have now given up.  I will drive my car and add to the congestion on the roads because I am sick of lack of clear information.  It is impossible now to plan any journey coherently.  It has completely ruined my train travel this summer and I have now decided not to undertake any more train/tram journeys until 1st October because I am sure everything will be magically put right once the student throng returns and swells the population once more.

I know this is essential maintenance but I just wish they would d**n well get on with it.

On 06/07/2019 at 11:58, PATHFINDER said:

It just seems to be taking so very long.  I live at the very top of Stannington and it was bad enough when they took the link buses off us.  I try and be a considerate citizen and not drive my car into town and used to love being able to nip into town via the 81 bus and tram.  Sure it took a lot longer than using my car but I put up with that.

However, it has made rail journeys getting to and from Sheffield Railway station a living hell.

I returned to Sheffield (via train)  in the early afternoon on Thursday and it took me AN HOUR AND A HALF to get home AND the Shalesmoor link buses (all arriving as they should) meant that my bus the 81 was stuck behind them and I had to run to ensure I got on it as it was blocked by two of the replacements buses.  Not funny as I am waiting for a knee replacement.

When I tried today to find an easier route from the station the wretched journey planner suggested I walk from the Station to Angel Street - Okay, knee replacement or not I could manage that ordinarily but with luggage - are you flipping serious???

And if you try and search for "when will all the tram rail replacements in Sheffield be completed" you do not get a straight answer from any site.

I have now given up.  I will drive my car and add to the congestion on the roads because I am sick of lack of clear information.  It is impossible now to plan any journey coherently.  It has completely ruined my train travel this summer and I have now decided not to undertake any more train/tram journeys until 1st October because I am sure everything will be magically put right once the student throng returns and swells the population once more.

I know this is essential maintenance but I just wish they would d**n well get on with it.

All the information on tram services and alternative buses provided is at http://www.supertram.com

Here is the current schedule of works in terms of travelling:

area 2 works (between Shalesmoor and Hillsborough, no trams beyond Shalesmoor ) until 18th July

Tramlines festival (no rail replacement works taking place, some changes to evening service to cater for festival) 19th to 21st July

area 3 works (Shalesmoor area, trams terminating at Cathedral) 22nd to 26th July

area 4 works (Hillsborough area, trams terminating at Hillsborough) 27th July to 9th August and also 17/18 August

area 5 works (University area, trams terminating at Cathedral) 24th to 30th August

Normal service resumes Saturday 31st August.

There are also some contingency dates - 10th to 16th August and 19th to 23rd August - that have no works currently planned so a normal tram service is likely to operate on those days.

For information on Stannington buses (First bus 81/82 and TM Travel bus 61/62) visit https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/.

For Sheffield Station to Stannington your easiest journey is probably to catch a tram to Castle Square and join your bus at Angel Street.

Edited by Andy C

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 11:23, amnicoll said:

The Bradfield Road junction would benefit from being a yellow box junction were such a regulation to be enforced

A good way to enforce yellow box junctions would be if someone is caught stationary in one,  it should open like a trapdoor and the car drop to the centre of the earths core.

Edited by Nightbird