Supertram Rail Replacement 2019

52 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So it's really just a problem of traffic lights timing and the way the tram triggers them by being close by?

Being close by is a bit of an overstatement as further along Langsett Road junction with Bamforth Street you wait what seems an age at a red light before the tram appears.At the aforementioned junction with Holme Lane there seems to be a tram in the vicinity more often than not and turning left onto Langsett Road is a bad option as there are always trams/buses/taxis clogging that area.

Fair enough, I only ever travel the other way, Langsett Rd to Infirmary, and back, on my bike (so I'm allowed).

And the wait is always ages that way as well.

Perhaps the lights and triggers could be adjusted to work better.

Given that the buses and the trams use the same approach roads as all other traffic, I fail to see what real benefit that bus/tram gate there is providing for the buses and trams. Is it really worth sending all the car traffic along Tapplin Road, Ripley Street and the bottom of Walkley Lane?

It isn't just the traffic light sequencing the needs looking at. The whole area needs reviewing. Yesterday at about 5 pm it was an absolute dogs dinner between Bradfield Road and the bottom of Ripley Street. Ripley Street looked to be blocked solid as nothing could get up from either side. This meant a queue of vehicles all the way from the junction at Bradfield Road so everything was stopped.  I was walking from the bottom of Forbes Road and as I got closer to the junction a bus was blocking all the traffic from getting from Bradfield Road to either Holme Lane or onto Langsett Road. This appears to have eventually helped clear Ripley Street as traffic started flowing again. 

To me it is a simple case of too many vehicles (private and public transport) and not enough open roads so the whole area needs looking at.

5 minutes ago, stillf said:

It isn't just the traffic light sequencing the needs looking at. The whole area needs reviewing. Yesterday at about 5 pm it was an absolute dogs dinner between Bradfield Road and the bottom of Ripley Street. Ripley Street looked to be blocked solid as nothing could get up from either side. This meant a queue of vehicles all the way from the junction at Bradfield Road so everything was stopped.  I was walking from the bottom of Forbes Road and as I got closer to the junction a bus was blocking all the traffic from getting from Bradfield Road to either Holme Lane or onto Langsett Road. This appears to have eventually helped clear Ripley Street as traffic started flowing again. 

To me it is a simple case of too many vehicles (private and public transport) and not enough open roads so the whole area needs looking at.

Buses blocking junctions happens a lot there. They do it on purpose.

6 minutes ago, stillf said:

So it isn’t perfect with no trams running?

Just now, Tickling said:

Buses blocking junctions happens a lot there. They do it on purpose.

Do you have evidence for that?

9 minutes ago, Hook said:

It has been a lot better without the trams but it isn't perfect. It only takes a minor issue anywhere in the area and it can take ages to sort itself out again

23 minutes ago, Hook said:

Do you have evidence for that?

Yes I see it with my own eyes often, they can see the junction isn't clear but they move forward anyway, blocking it all up.